UK Bioinformatics advice needed

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gekko513, Sep 10, 2004.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm considering a slight career change ... I'm a computer scientist. I like programming, I would like to contribute to some research/industry that might actually help people, like life science and medical science and I would also like to see more of the world (I currently live in Norway).

So I thought a MSc/MRes course in bioinformatics in the UK sounds like the perfect solution.

There are many universities in the UK that offer MSc/MRes bioinformatics courses: However, I also like Macs, so I would be happier if I found a Mac-friendly bioinformatics course. The course information sites rarely give any info on what system they use/support, but some mention UNIX. How do I know if they mean OSX or some other UNIX variant?

Anyone in the UK who can give me a bit of advice on how to find more info on this?

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Try Cambridge University - we're very Mac friendly here. Web site for the university is www.cam.ac.uk

Hope that was helpful

3. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Yes, thanks, it was helpful, but I can't see that Cambridge has a 1 year MSc or MRes bioinformatics course for computer scientists, like this one at the Imperial College .

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Hey I'm just in the final stages of completing my application for Cambridge studying Computer Science, is this course mac-friendly too?

Thanks!

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

The only thing I can say about Cambridge University is that its Mac friendly. In the computer labs there is a Mac laboratory with line after line of iMac (G4).
    As for individual courses etc - I don't know.

Check out the computer labs web site http://www.cam.ac.uk/cs/ their help desk maybe able to help.

6. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

While I'm at it ... What is the difference between MSc and MRes?

7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I have to say also that its a bit late to be applying for courses at any university in the UK. Good luck though.

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm applying for 2005 entry, maybe the original poster is too.

9. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Yeah, I'm not in hurry.