UK: Blueyonder Broadband to give another FREE speed boost!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Nov 11, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

FAN-F***ING-TASTIC!

Blueyonder really do RAWK in a big way. The service is solid, and they just keep on giving more for less. Earlier in the year they gave everyone a free 50% boost (taking me from 2mbit to 3mbit for no extra cost), and now they're rolling out this FREE 33% upgrade...taking me to 4mbit :D

2. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Arrghhh If only I lived in a Blueyonder (telewest) rather than NTL region, It's amazing how different the two are. To further my NTL annoyance, I finally got away from NTL in the summer but couldn't sign up to a year long contract and went for virgin.net broadband, due to their lack of 12 month contract or "installation" fee. Then NTL went ahead and bought out virgin :rolleyes:

Enjoy the speed boost

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

4. andym172 macrumors 6502

Nice! :)

I have a PlusNet 2mbit connection here which is good, but not as good as I'd expected.

A friend of mine is lucky enough to benefit from an 8mbit home connection for the same price as I pay for 2mbit :)O :( :D). He lives only a couple of miles away from Stafford Uni and so benefits from the cable infrastructure round there.

May be going slightly off topic, but what are the speeds of the home connections of other forums users on here?

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

w00t! Also just read that those of us going from 3-4mbit also get our upstream boosted from 256 to 384, so that's a 50% improvement there too! :D

6. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

you smug git! i'm a poor poor student and i have to pay for my phoneline and broadband myself. I can only afford 250k midband, its either that or a crummy capped 512 service and i downloaded 12 gig easy last month. I am very VERY envious of your ultimate net power! we have 8mbit at uni but as its spread out over a massive network there is no way for me to totally abuse its sheer power:(

you got 4mbit all to yourself! its just wrong! just out of interest how much roughly is that costing you a month and is it a business contract that you have?

7. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just for my own private home use :D :p £50 :eek: but well worth it, I download a lot.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Those with Blueyonder - how good is it?

My mother has a new iBook and has decided she needs a wireless network to take full use of it. She's currently on dial up.

To be honest, she doesn't need a really high speed service, she won't use webspace and she'd probably be quite happy keeping her free web email address.

The Blueyonder 256 deal at £14.99 and free installation seemed OK. At least she gets the ethernet modem rather than having to buy one (those USB freebie ones made my PBook crash whenever it woke up). I was just going to get her an Airport Express after that so she can leave her printer upstairs with that.

Anyone have any other ideas?

9. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

this is killing me... i only have 256/64.. cost me AU$40.00 a month... BUT it has unlimited download (after 24gig shaped to 72k) i download a bit.... about 50gig minimum a month. :rolleyes:

BRING IT ON! 4megabit connections in AU for $10 a month, unlimited downloads! yes! :D

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Very IMO. It hasn't been down in well over a year for me, and the speed is always top notch. I've been using it since it was 512k, ~3 years ago.
    There's no cap on any of Blueyonders services either, imagine how much you can download a month at 4mbit, uncapped ;) :D :p

11. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I've used it for nearly 4 years (when it was 512), with Macs, PCs (both Windows and Linux) - no complaints at all.

Looking forward to going to 4 mbps :D

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Git.

I'm not in the zone for Blueyonder.

I'm with NTL.

We have history :rolleyes:

Still £50/month is a bit steep isn't it? ;)

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think I remember reading about it.
    Not for 4mbit!!! :p :D

14. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I just got something similar from Insight here. They bumped everyone from 3 to 4 for no extra charge. A 33% increase free!!! I love cable internet. :)

15. iGav macrumors G3

Well you can get 8mb for £39.99 a month... although you're limted to 4GB a day and 16 hour max daily usage.

http://www.ukonline.net/8000/

16. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

super smashing great! 1.5mb to 2mbit and only 2 hops to the main pipe in Canary Wharf...perhaps I'll beat my previous ping record of 3.:D

just need a mac that play games...oh hum
    heres hoping the next iMac update gives vram options :rolleyes:
    else it'll have to be a monster G5 and crt late next year.

then again, I've jumped the boat and gone for a chipped Xbox from 'er indoors this Christmas. So thats hi-def gaming for me on our new Sony 26" Lcd tv....crackin' can't wait!!! I will miss Q3, those years will be missed.
    Anyone know what Xbox live is like in the uk?

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm hoping that Earthlink will increase the speed of my DSL. Verizon has increased DSL speed for their customers. So I'm hoping that via Covad the increae my occur. Although Verizon is trying to win back customers from Comcast due to them increasing speeds several months ago. I can always hope.

18. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Do broadband providers in most countries have download limits? I don't see the point in choosing one that has a download cap - especiallly with ever inceasing connection speeds.

.........I'm still on dialup by the way (NTL) :eek: The don't offer broadband in my area. :mad:

19. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's what makes Blueyonder so good, not only are they very fast, but no download limits (and I know, I push the limits :D).

20. oreo macrumors member

I can't see the point of being with a company that has a limit, which is why I got rid of freeserve. So many people just don't read the bit that says you are limited, but think that service will be ok cause of the name of the company. I know in the UK that Freeserve & BT have limits but Blueyonder & AOL don't, I'm sure there are others.

21. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

With UK Online starting to do an 8Mb ADSL connection for 39.99, I hope that BT and other do something to upgrade people! I pay 25 or so just for a 1Mb. I wont stay with BT with an 8Mb available for that price. Surely they must do something. I did read a while back that BT was thinking about upgrading people from 1 to 2Mb in a free upgrade (similar to blueyonder).

22. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

We couldn't get broadband with BT so we end with NTR (NTR, not NTL). 2 weeks later and BT announce we can have it in our area. So we got that too, for my mums business internet connection.

NTR wireless broadband is only 512k down, but its symmetrical, so it's 512 up too :-D And it's the fastest, most reliable 512k I've seen yet. Not quite 4mb, but sure!

andy.

23. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

My post will just mirror that which has been said before... Why can't I live in a cabled area!?

~cel, the ADSL guy who's unhappy with his *expensive* Pipex speed

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, some of you are lucky. I can sympathise with the people stuck with NTHell, the services here in NZ are pretty bad too. A few months ago you could either get a 128/128 service for $60 (£23), or a 8192/2048 service for $40 (£15) plus 20c (8p) per MB :eek:

Now I'm getting 2048/192 for $69 (£26), which is an improvment, but certainly not perfect. Plus, if I download more than 10 GB, they may cap the speed to 64 kb/s (I say 'may' because that's what their website says, and I've probably downloaded about 20 gigs this month without it slowing down. However, their usage meter seems to be broken at the moment, which might have something to do with it).

25. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Yes. And it'll bug you if you don't try it for yourself. It's the easiest one to set up but also similarly dissapointing. Much better to buy 3 cheap controllers and get some mates round!!

Hob