UK BT raises the bar for dotMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gosh, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Gosh macrumors 6502

In the UK BT Broadband has just introduced "Digital Vault" with up to 20GB of online storage in conjunction with an auto backup manager software for £4.99/month.

Windows 2000/XP only - for now unfortunately.

Just hope that when Leopard introduces Time Machine they also drastically increase dotMac storage.

Attached Files:

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

limited offer of £4.99... Being BT, the price will most likely rise.

3. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Limited Offer is two months free!:)

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Sounds like a good deal if you've got a PC. 20GB and auto backup software. Sweet.

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

haha oh yeah... but still, BT never keep prices low for long. there is another site that allows you to have free storage to X amount (cant remember the site)

6. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

True they might put the price up but BT's record on Broadband is that it is just slow to put the price down - they tend to just increase speed and/or features instead. I've always found that they highlight intro offer prices and duration much more clearly than most!

I think this is a industry leading move and I just hope that Apple follow by making iDisk of a useful size for use as a Time Machine backup option.

Equally I hope BT see the opportunity and make this Mac OS X supported. They say: "The automatic backup service available with Backup Manager is not currently Mac compatible".

7. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

That’s not strictly true. You have to remember that BT don't just have higherish prices for no reason. They are governed by offcom, and most of the time they're broadband prices cannot be lowered. They are still for all intents and purposes a monopoly in the UK. I"m sure last time I checked their prices were pretty much the same as other premium broadband providers. They do make a few frustrating assumptions though, such as assuming that users don’t need higher upload speeds.

There is also the fact that BT's revenues are eroding, so they have to be careful to control that process as much as possible. They can’t keep laying off staff. But don’t doubt for a second that BT wouldn’t try and kill off the competition completely if they could by capturing as much market share as possible through lower prices, but again offcom won’t allow it.

There are other commercial constraints affecting their pricing, such as recouping their cap ex costs. Other ISP's merely use BT's wholesale service, and therefore don't have to recoup the cost associated with developing the network etc. Sure there are ISP’s who unbundled exchanges, but the unbundling is selective and is only in certain demographics.

Where there is competition in the market, the leased line market for example, BT can be extremely aggressive with pricing. There were a number of times where I struggled to get close on a like for like offering when I worked for Ntl business, for example.

Back on topic though, I'm surprised Bt are offering such an attractive offering. Sadly I can't see Apple following suit, nothing seems to exist for Apple outside of the US.

Jason

8. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I think we do feel neglected here in the UK - I hate having to explain that Mac is a computer - another type of operating system for a computer - and no it won't run on a PC!

I think BT are being quite cunning here with respect to holding-the-ring on market share. X-box and movie downloads/Zune is a similar philosophy. It's probably low margin but if it helps retain market share.....!

Just hope Apple really go all out on dotMac (07) and iTV because the competition don't just sit still!

9. Euan macrumors regular

I understand that soon BT will not be governed by the minimum prices they can charge. They have recently sold off lines to rivals and are soon to be allowed to be more competitively priced.

10. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

It's an ongoing process. Unless BT make the bold move of selling their network, which they wont because they are about to embark on a national upgrade of the netowrk, then they will continue to have certain sanctions imposed upon them.

I think you are referring to wlr, when you are talking about the lines. Wholesale line rental is a good idea in theory, but can be a disaster in practice. It's commonly accepted that its best to leave the lines with BT at the moment, the competition cannot manage the process well enough. I am generalising, but four years of experience has taught me that very few companies get it right, and even when they do its rarely on a consistent basis.

Ntl telewest, and cable and wireless have a national fibre network, but their networks have no where near the reach of BT's network. There are alternatives out there such as Energis, but again their network relies on BT tails for the most part.

i think BT have released a cracking product here, but I do agree alot of their consumer products are diabolical. Well in my opninion they're very poor.

Jason

11. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I really do hope that Apple will boost dotMac storage so that it does become an effective 'dump' for Time Machine.

If not then I guess I would have to decide between continuing with dotMac and spending the money on this product (assuming it will become Mac compatible).

It seems that Time Machine would not be compatible with Digital Vault going by the the GUI.

http://digitalvault.bt.com/base/login.jsp

12. SeattleSparks macrumors newbie

You might want to look into BingoDisk, which not only has very low rates ($49/yr for 25 gigabytes of storage, on up to $199/yr for 100 gigabytes), but also is accessed by just mounting it as a WebDAV share (which is how .Mac iDisk also works).

In theory, it should be possible to use BingoDisk for Time Machine, I'd think, since you can have your BingoDisk right there on your Mac desktop as a mounted volume. I wouldn't guarantee it as a FAST backing store for Time Machine, but. :)