UK buying advice post MWSF please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tonifine, Jan 13, 2005.

1. tonifine macrumors newbie

Morning from London...
    Just about to buy top of range iMac. Regent Street store FAB but doesnt hold stock of larger HD, Bluetooth etc. Soooo.... dont know whether to buy from Apple Store direct (and have to WAIT....humph) or whether to buy top range spec from London store who hold stock....
    Question is....will I get newer versions of ILIFE etc and op system if I order direct from Apple....
    What would you do?
    Also...I was thinking of 1gig memory. Is that enough? I want to do heavy video editing///
    Thanks so much for advice/help/

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The software pre-loaded will probs be the current '04 Life and Panther. You'll probs be able to upgrade to iLife '05 for the price of postage though through up-to-date.

I would say that 1GB is probably enough except for all the most demanding tasks. I've got 1GB and I very rarely get near to using all of it...and that's when I boot up Virtual PC.

As for machine choice....well that's a personal decision on how much you need the extra's. I'd be inclined to buy what you want and wait. If you're buying a standard build remember that, if John Lewis has stock, they have the same prices as Apple (they price match) but have a better warranty - JL's is two years but the AppleStores is only one year

3. Badradio macrumors 6502

Check out Micro Anvika (Link). They have the bluetooth iMac 20" with the bigger drives and 512 Ram in stock and are offering an extra 512 for £35. They have them in stock on the website, but I know they have the upgraded machines in stock at the Manchester stores; you should be able to pick one up from the London store, or get it delivered next day. That sale offer ends in 2 days though.
    That spec will do you fine for editing video.
    You would get iLife 05 if you ordered from Apple direct, but it would take a long time to get the machine. Especially with the BTO options.
    Hope that helps.

4. tonifine thread starter macrumors newbie

watch this space....

Thankws so much for thoughtful replies. Gonna speak to MicroAnvika now...

5. tonifine thread starter macrumors newbie

ok...I went to town and bought the whole shebang at the London Apple Store. Fantastic!! They were so helpful and I cant wait to get set up and started.
    Thanks again for suggestions.