UK - can I return an Applestore order within 14 days?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by toontra, Dec 7, 2006.

1. toontra macrumors 6502

I was just wondering.... what are my UK online consumer rights? Can I return an order from the Applestore within 14 days of delivery, even if the item (MacBook) is not faulty? If so do I need to give a reason, and is there a restocking fee? What if I have opened the packaging?

I have done this successfully with other online retailers but was wanting some specific experience from those using the UK Applestore.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you ordered online then yes. If you purchased in store then probably not.

You have 7 day cooling off period for any goods purchased under distance selling during which you can end the contract for any reason without penalty.

Edit to add: Note that "goods made to the customer's specification" are specifically excluded. This could easily be taken to include any customisations to a Mac including but not limited to additional RAM, larger hard drives...

3. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a standard configuration - no extras. I presume I'd pay for the return postage - would they get a courier to collect or do I do that myself?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Q4 under the link above!:

Q4. Do I have to pay to return the goods?

When consumers exercise their right to cancel they are under a duty to take reasonable care of the goods and to “restore” them to the supplier. The term “restore” does not permit the supplier to demand that the consumer send back or deliver the goods, but only that the goods are made available to the supplier for collection.

The Regulations permit the supplier to include in the contract a term requiring the consumer to return the goods to the supplier at their own cost. The supplier may charge for the direct costs of recovering the goods if, on request, the consumer does not return them; this must not be more than the direct costs of recovery, such as postage or, for larger items, the cost of a van collection. Once the consumer has cancelled the order all money paid must be returned within 30 days of the date of cancellation.

The business is not entitled to charge for recovery of the goods if the consumer also has a statutory right to cancel the contract under other legislation, (for example because they are defective) or if the term requiring the consumer to return the goods is an ‘‘unfair term’’ within the meaning of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 and The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts (Amendment) Regulations 2001.

5. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Robbie. I did read the link, but it seems there are a few variables covered by the regulations concerning returns. I was wondering if anyone had direct experience of how Apple UK actually manage this in practice?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Basically there is one variable: whether there is a clause in the contract saying you have to pay for returns.

The "contract" (well T&Cs) are here.

Section 7 says:

"If you choose to return a product the transportation charges set out in paragraph 7.2 paragraph D below will apply."

Note that there is a special extension at Christmas on the return period :) :

"Christmas Purchase Return Extension: If you purchase a Product from us between October 31, 2006 and December 24, 2006 only, and you are not completely satisfied with any Product or the terms of any entitlement to Services , you may return the Product to us or cancel the entitlement to Services and obtain a refund of the price of the returned Product or Service entitlement if you contact us by January 8, 2007 . Personalized or other customized product are not eligible for this extended return privilege. All other terms and conditions in respect of Product returns shall continue to apply to Products purchased during this extension time frame. Consequently, you may still contact us within fourteen (14) Calendar Days following delivery of the Product or purchase of Services, if this fourteen days period ends after January 8."

Section 7.2 states:

"If you have received the ordered Product(s) and have simply changed your mind about purchasing them you may return the Product(s) or entitlement to Service to us for a refund, subject to the payment of the transportation charges set out within paragraph 7.2 D"

Then there are the normal reasonable conditions like you have not broken the product.

Onto the meat:

"i) If the total purchase price of the Product(s) returned is less than £300 excluding VAT the charge payable by you for the return is £30.00 (inclusive of VAT).

ii) If the total purchase price of the Product(s) is more than £300 excluding VAT the charge payable by you for the return is £60.00 (inclusive of VAT)."

Summary

You will pay £60 to return the product. You could choose to challenge Apple on this as it would appear to be significantly more than the actual cost to Apple for this which would appear to be covered as above.

7. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Apple order online is pretty good with Return. You will have 14 days to return your product unless it's softwares, built to order computer, personalized ipods. The day start is the day you receive the product. There will be a restocking fees if it's open unless prove otherwise DOA or defected.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not in the UK if you bought over the phone or internet. As I linked above you have 7 days during which you can return the product having opened if for no penalty.

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

i read through the T&C's yesterday and i definitely remember it being 14 days with which you can return your product

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple appear to have voluntarily extended this to 14 days. This is above and beyond the legal minimum of 7.

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

great info robbieduncan, do you know what happens if you want to return a product if you think that it is faulty? i.e. is there a sur-charge, will they replace/repair your comp and if it is a replacement will you get another 14 days on that product. I will probably be sending back my imac because of its display (pics: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=257963), and am wondering which is the best way to go about it.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it's faulty or DOA and you want the product (in this case an iMac) then you are entering a totally different scenario. You do not get another 14 days: you have not entered a new contract you are still in the first one. If the item is faulty you should just be able to return it for repair/replacement or a full refund.

14. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks for the info, basically im concerned that if the replacement has 1 or 2 dead/stuck pixels, i wont be able to get it replaced, and as i work with photos, dead/stuck pixels are a definite issue with me