Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
To all of the UK posters.... Have you contacted the various networks and ask if/when they will make a tvOS app?

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
To all of the UK posters.... Have you contacted the various networks and ask if/when they will make a tvOS app?

Yes. I mentioned in my earlier post I had reached out to be told there are no plans.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Roku 2 will be arriving today, I'm hopeful it will do what I need.

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
I can't help but feel this is the chicken or the egg issue. Most people won't really buy into the catch up services and smart TVs until the services they would actually use are there, but the channels don't want to make the apps until there are customers who can install it waiting for them. My grandmother bought herself an Apple TV 4 last week so she can use BBC iPlayer, and then texted me today to tell me she's writing letters of complaint to ITV and channel 4 about the lack of app.

I have the BBC iPlayer app and it seems fine, but we really need the rest...

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I can't help but feel this is the chicken or the egg issue. Most people won't really buy into the catch up services and smart TVs until the services they would actually use are there, but the channels don't want to make the apps until there are customers who can install it waiting for them. My grandmother bought herself an Apple TV 4 last week so she can use BBC iPlayer, and then texted me today to tell me she's writing letters of complaint to ITV and channel 4 about the lack of app.

Get her a £10 NowTV box that comes loaded with all the catch up services and will get her by until the Apple TV catches up. ;)

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK

Sadly even iPlayer is seriously weak on the Apple TV. It's clearly made on the cheap using stock TVML script templates, and as such lacks not only the design of iPlayer on every other platform, but also pretty much all the features.

I wanted the new Apple TV to be a one stop streaming solution, but it's sadly turned out to be another dud. Even for Americans they're still lacking Amazon, which is unforgivable.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Roku 2 arrived and I was setup in minutes. All the catch up services work well and no issues. It's basic, but it does the job. I do like the interface on the ATV4 and the integration with Apple Music and my Photos. For now having 2 devices is the only option and maybe in a year or so the Roku can be retired, but we shall see.

Reactions: ozaz

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
It took Roku several years to get all the main UK services, and they were only able to do that by partnering with Sky. Amazon also completed their UK set on the Fire TV, and again it took them years.

Based on that I wouldn't expect to see the likes of All4, ITV Hub, and My5 on the Apple TV until 2017 at the very earliest, perhaps 2018 or even 2019.

The other alternative is to just make a really popular device. The PS4 and Xbox One launched with several UK providers and have added others within a few years of going on sale.

BingoBlue

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Philly
I've been watching catch up TV exclusively from my Roku Streaming Sticks dotted across the various TVs at home. We had everything wired up for Ethernet last year so planned to bulk buy the new Apple TV to move to wired but lack of apps killed that plan. I'm trying to hold off but may just end up buying some of the new Roku equipment which includes an Ethernet port.

For what it's worth. The Roku is perfect for the cord cutting - excellent solution. Makes me think why I actually want to wait for Apple TV to get sorted.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
It is frustrating. I have a Samsung smart TV so all the things I use (ITV Hub, All 4 and Amazon) that aren't on the Apple TV yet I can easily access directly from my TV. But I would still much rather be able to access them using the Apple TV.

Reactions: ozaz

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Who in their right mind watches anything on ITV or channel 5 anyway?? Its like the sun newspaper of TV channels, remember when ITV news showed footage from Arma II in a documentary about the IRA and they think all Black people look alike as they can't tell the difference between Ainsley Harriot and Lenny Henry.

Reactions: George Dawes

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Who in their right mind watches anything on ITV or channel 5 anyway?? Its like the sun newspaper of TV channels, remember when ITV news showed footage from Arma II in a documentary about the IRA and they think all Black people look alike as they can't tell the difference between Ainsley Harriot and Lenny Henry.

ITV has a lot of drama, or did you miss the whole Downton Abbey phenomenon? C5 I agree is junk, but they did get the recent X-Files reboot.

This is all irrelevant though, they're popular mainstream offerings and absolutely essential for any streaming box.

Reactions: ozaz and rbrian

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK

I don't but my wife does. Channel 5 is actually My5 now and includes Channel 5, 5STAR, 5USA and Spike. Shows like Shannara Chronicles, X-Files and Heroes Reborn.

eyeballtickler7

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2015
Just received the below from Channel 4. Keep applying the pressure everyone so that they can see there is demand.

Thank you for your email regarding All 4.

As you have observed, we are not currently on this type of device, and I'm afraid that we do not disclose our plans for launching All 4 on new platforms to the public in advance.

Therefore, I am afraid that we can't tell you if or when we would have an Apple TV app, but can assure you that we are constantly reviewing our options regarding which devices to be on and aim to provide the best possible experience for viewers using our apps.

Thank you for taking the time to contact All 4.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I f you want something, you have to ask. Keep asking Channel 4 etc via all their social media channels, send them emails.
Sitting and waiting is not getting you anywhere. Keep asking!

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I think it might be a better idea to get a PC Stick - a tiny, low powered, but full featured Windows 10 device built into an HDMI stick, so you can get all the apps, and the full websites when the apps aren't up to scratch, and access your iTunes library on your main computer. They're often on Amazon for around £80. I haven't tried one myself, but they have pretty much the same spec as my £150 HP Stream laptop (Intel atom, 2gb ram, 32gb eMMC storage) and that performs far better than it has any right to, only the screen and touchpad letting it down. It happily drives a 1080p screen via HDMI.

daio

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Germany
I have a feeling that the reason why 4OD, ITV Hub and the rest have not appeared is that inability to further monitise their programming. On iOS for example, it is usual for the web players to show ads at various times, such as before during and after the programme and invite users to click/tap on them. These are of course monitised as the viewer clicks through to a browser and the website of the advertisers. Thanks to the lack of web browsing capabilities on the Apple TV, this monitisation model does not work, therefore its better to let the viewers watch via iOS, using airplay to view on the screen and still allow ad clicking/tapping.

I doubt very much that we will see many commercial broadcasters in the UK using a free app via the Apple TV platform where no web browsing capability is present. As soon as apple enable access to the Web, then they'll pull their fingers out.

just a thought.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I have a feeling that the reason why 4OD, ITV Hub and the rest have not appeared is that inability to further monitise their programming. On iOS for example, it is usual for the web players to show ads at various times, such as before during and after the programme and invite users to click/tap on them. These are of course monitised as the viewer clicks through to a browser and the website of the advertisers. Thanks to the lack of web browsing capabilities on the Apple TV, this monitisation model does not work, therefore its better to let the viewers watch via iOS, using airplay to view on the screen and still allow ad clicking/tapping.

I doubt very much that we will see many commercial broadcasters in the UK using a free app via the Apple TV platform where no web browsing capability is present. As soon as apple enable access to the Web, then they'll pull their fingers out.

just a thought.
My Samsung smart TV and NowTV box both have all the catch up apps as standard and are not using a web browser so I doubt if that's the reason why their apps are not yet on the new Apple TV.

Reactions: rbrian

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
UK
They get revenue from ads simply being aired I think, so the more people who view the better for their ad sales.

Reactions: rbrian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.