Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nat3503

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
London
I'm going to uni in October, and am going to order a 12inch iBook, 60 Gb iPod, printer and iSight. I read on here that the Higher Education Discount is more than the regular education discount, but I was going to purchase in the Bluewater store rather than online or on the phone, so can I get a higher education discount in there? I went in there a few weeks ago to buy a mouse (and some other things that didn't qualify for a discount) and they gave me a basic education discount. I'd rather get a higher education discount because from what others have written on here, the discounts are quite substantial.

So does anyone know anything about the higher education discount? Thank you!

JasonGough

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Manchester, UK
yeah, you can get a good size educational discount, but you can only access the online student store from your Unis network. (won't work from your home net conection)

you can phone apple and explain whats going on and they'll give you a quote with your discount :)

link92

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
You should be able to get the discount at the Bluewater Apple Store, as long as you have proof you are a student, such as a student id card :p

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I'm also off to Uni in October. Two weeks ago today I bought a 15" PB Combo to take with me.

Bluewater gave me an 8% student discount, and the only evidence they needed was the conditional offer letter from my university.

If you are just starting uni and don't have an ID card, and ff you applied through UCAS, take along the letter that confirms your final place (you should have got it some time after Thursday, although it may arrive in the next couple of days) - that should do fine on the basis that I got a discount with a conditional offer.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Just to mention, the way you access it through an "educational institute" is via the NUS website. So make sure you get yourself an NUS card during Freshers week! Once youve logged into the NUS site you have access to the Apple Education store. Its pretty good for certain items - I am getting the 12" iBook there for £615 - 85 quid off.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
What I DONT understand, is how they can justify charging £100 for Office student edition, when students in Canada and the States can pay anything from £10 to £50. I really need Office as part of my course, but theres no way im paying £100 for it.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Project said:
What I DONT understand, is how they can justify charging £100 for Office student edition, when students in Canada and the States can pay anything from £10 to £50. I really need Office as part of my course, but theres no way im paying £100 for it.

I worked on the basis of £100 is a lot cheaper than £330 for the standard edition of Office. And, you're getting exactly the same code, apart from the student version can't be upgraded (which isn't a problem, seeing as upgrades for the standard version cost around £100)

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
thomasp said:
I worked on the basis of £100 is a lot cheaper than £330 for the standard edition of Office. And, you're getting exactly the same code, apart from the student version can't be upgraded (which isn't a problem, seeing as upgrades for the standard version cost around £100)

Dont get me started on the full price! Its crazy. While I appreciate that Office is a very good product, the sheer numbers it is bought in compared to the cost of development and shipping would say that they have OBSCENE profit margins on a £330 selling price.

But, being the corporate defacto and holding a monopolistic competition over everybody else, they can do that.

If a £200m film can be bought on DVD for £10, how can somebody possibly justify a £330 price tag on a product that cost far less to produce and sells to more people? Unbelieveable.

Hopefully, Apple can introduce "Numbers" to the next version of iWork and keep that £50 pricetag. Thats value.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Project said:
Sometimes you can get it cheap buying through your Uni. My Uni had a programme where you could buy just about any Microsoft product for £10. I think they struck a deal with Microsoft or something as they had a lot of programmers there.

I got HE discount over the phone. I'm not a Student any more but I work at an Institution. I think I got around 14% off my Powerbook, and another 50 quid off Apple Care. I didnt have to prove that I worked at the Institute, but I did provide my .ac.uk email address. The best thing about talking to them on the phone is you can blag them into knocking down the price more, or throwing in extras for free.

D

DJ1UK

Yes i agree with that. Wait until you start university and visit the computer department. Many have discounts on a whole range of software (microsoft based and others) and most will support Apples in some way.

DJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.