UK ePetition for non-windows iPlayer from BBC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by oldpismo, Feb 26, 2007.

1. oldpismo macrumors member

Aug 12, 2003
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Signed it, although I don't think it'll do any good. Blair thinks the sun shines out of Gates' arse :rolleyes:
  3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    Just thought I'd point everyone's attention to the reason given by Channel 4 for not making their on demand service Mac-compatible

Is that just plain BS, or do they have a point? They pretty much say it's Apples fault.
  4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    It's BS. They could use Real, like they used to use for Big Brother before they swapped out for Microsoft the year before last.

No excuse whatsoever.
  5. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    It is Apple's fault as far as I'm concerned. This entire market was theirs for the taking, but thanks' to Jobs' obsessive need for control they've handed it to Microsoft.

I get 4od for free anyway as part of my Homechoice subscription, but it still gets to me how many UK services we're locked out of because Apple didn't think it mattered.
  6. OllyW Moderator

Staff Member

Oct 11, 2005
    The Black Country, England
    I've already signed up to the BBC petition.

I don't think I'll bother with this one though :D
  7. davidjearly macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    It is Apple's fault, to a certain extent. I understand Apple for wanting to keep their closed business model. There are pros and cons to it. However, Channel 4 claim 'the accepted Digital Rights Management (DRM) system used is not compatible with Apple software/hardware'.

1. It is not 'the accepted model'. It is one option, and it is arrogant of Channel 4 to say that.

2. MS decided not to make Windows Media DRM not compatible on Macs, whereas Apple decided to make Fairplay compatible with Windows.

So, IMO, it is largely the content providers fault for not looking at alternatives and adhering to the model MS proposes without making demands for them to make it available to OS X users, and in that respect it is also mainly MS's fault for deciding to lock Mac users out.