UK Gastropub food 'betters French'

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGav, Nov 21, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

;) :D

Rinky dink link

interesting considering the seemingly international view that British grub is crap. ;)

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I can believe it...

Slightly (well mostly) off-topic. Belgo Centraal: good or bad?

Edit: There is however a lovely organic gastro pub in Angel but I can't remember its name. All the beers are organic too.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

A ha ha ha ha! I'm glad the pubs are getting better in the UK, but God help the Finns... having just been there a month or two ago, I'd have to agree with the second half of Chirac's statement. ;)

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What were those fishy meals you referred to? No reindeer steak?

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's all fish, even the "reindeer". ;)

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Now we need a few of these to start popping up across the pond.....I'm tired of all the family run places being over taken by the chains....

And as to Chirac's comment - how bad is Finnish food?

D

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The leading cause of death in Finland is intentional starvation... many see it as preferable to eating the food there.

8. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Never been... so I don't have a foggiest I'm afraid.

Though pictures of it inside REALLY reminds me of a belgian bar I went to once in Holborn I think, or somewhere around there... but I don't recall it been in Covent Garden, I could be wrong though. hmmmmmm. :confused:

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Good: Food, beer, schnapps, weird waiters who if you amuse them will give you free schnapps, smell as you go in. The platters of open-face mussels topped with spinach, pancetta and cheese are fabulous...

Bad: the incredibly long wait that you often face crammed into a smoky the bar smaller than the industrial lift to the basement.

iGav - it's near Seven Dials so if you walked from Holborn, it would be easy to think it was nearer there than Covent Garden.

As for the gastropubs; very few places beat a good gastropub but there are a lot that don't deserve the name. A proper gastropub should have someone who knows how to cook in the back, making most of their food from fresh ingredients and with a handwritten menu because it's likely to change; not because it makes you think it's fresh and looks more stylish.

Many of them have someone still training to do their City & Guilds while sticking stuff from Brake Bros and 3663 into a microwave/oven/deep fat fryer. Here's an interesting article from the Guardian about the phenomenom.

10. Lau Guest

Ooh, that takes me back to my days as a stock controller at a cinema - frozen and then microwaved pasta, anyone? :D

I have had some fantastic food at 'gastro' type pubs, and it's good that they think the overall quality's improving. I think all that needs to happen now is for people to expect good food and not put up with the bad stuff, and hopefully overall things will continue to improve. People also need to realise it's worth paying slightly more for something good - those two lasagnes for a fiver from Wetherspoons aren't really going to be full of fresh ingredients are they now? ;)

11. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I can't believe the 'UK food sucks' monika is still being played by the French etc.

I've travelled throughout Europe over the years, on business (expenses = expensive food) and pleasure (food on a budget) and some of the worst stuff I've eaten was in Troyes, Chamonix and Paris particularly. I mean come-on, I've had better meals in a tiny mountain town in Austria, than anywhere in France.

The worst I've eaten was in Kenya - but then again where I was working, they were simply eating to live, not living to eat!