UK Higher Education Warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dunc85, Aug 31, 2006.

1. dunc85 macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2006
    Can anyone confirm/clarify the following to me: The UK edu store says that all edu purchases now come with 3 year warranty.
    I emailed my local retail store about this and was told that warranty isn't available in store or online!
    So I sent the guy back a screenshot of the edu page to show him that I wasn't making it up - he's not got back to me.

So I'm wondering, has anyone bought in store with the Higher Education discount and received the 3 year warranty? (I don't see why they'd do it online and not in store....)

Although maybe i'm better purchasing online - I have visions of going into the store and being told that such a warranty doesn't exist.
  2. mrploddy macrumors member

Aug 19, 2006
    I saw EXACTLY the same thing but there was a lack of knowledge.

If I were you go IN PERSON to the Apple Store and take your student ID with you. You are entitled to a 14% discount of a mac book assuming your uni is part of the scheme of which *most* are.

As for the warranty..I dunno but warranty aside, a proper AppleCare will set you back £50 instead of the normal £200 and I think it's worth it considering a PC Performance agreement would cost you £467 from PC World for the same length of time.

Anyone want to englighten what the difference is between 3 year limited warranty and 3 year AppleCare?.

3. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Aug 5, 2005
    Applecare includes phone support and tec help. Warranty is just for faulty computers. EU regs state that equipment must last a reasonable lenghth of time - 1 year is no longer considerd reasonable on an expensive lap-top. Sure 3 years will soon be accross the board.

Correct me if i am wrong. :)
  4. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2005
    AppleCare will give you software support which the you won't get with the free 3 years. It's well worth it, because if you are covered Apple will charge you to make sure the problem isn't software before arranging any kind of repair.
    Also, I beleive that Apple Store will not give you more that 10% discount instore, you have to order via the website for that (I might be wrong about that though).
  5. dunc85 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2006
    You are :p
  6. mrploddy macrumors member

Aug 19, 2006
    I bought a middle of the road macbook from the Apple Store at the Trafford Centre in Manchester.

I got the Macbook for 773 instead of 899 and the Care for 50 instead of 199. All I had to do was show my ID XD;. I can guarentee this 1000000%

So there we go, Standard 3yr higher education warranty = repair only. 50 quid is definitely worth it for the 3yrs phone support and no hassle about being charged in case it is software.

7. wiraone macrumors member

Oct 31, 2006
    Anybody has any update on this issue? I didn't buy the extra AppleCare offered since I thought that the 3-year warranty given for HE is good enough and Manchester Apple Centre is just a stone-throw away from uni. Anyway, I've just got myself an Macbook Pro and checking the warranty period from the Apple website, it seems that I only get a year warranty for the MBP. Help!!!:confused:
  8. wiraone macrumors member

Oct 31, 2006
    I called up the Tech Support today, was online for 40 minutes with a very helpful rep but he couldn't help much either at the moment and will escalate it further. It seems that the tech rep was given different information from different teams, the HE team said that I'm supposed to get the 3-yr warranty but the warranty team said that nope, to get the 3-yr warranty, I need to buy the optional AppleCare package. Will need to give them another call next week and see what they could do about it .. otherwise, I'll push them to give me the AppleCare package at the advertised £50(+VAT) price. Better safe then sorry..!
  9. Daz macrumors newbie

Apr 30, 2006
    Same, I ordered my MBP online and got the "3-year warranty" through the HE store.

Checked my status online - only 1 year warranty showing.
    Rung Apple - knew nothing about it. Told me to e-mail the Education store.
    E-mailed them, and it gets passed onto the credit card team, as that's how I paid for it.

That's the last I heard.. :) (And that was a couple of months ago, at least!)
  10. AppleRep macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2006
    3 year Warranty Terms

Hi All,

Just to let you know, If you buy the machine through the HE contract website then you will receive a 3 year warranty free of charge. You can (at the time of purchase) upgrade this warranty to the full Applecare plan for ~£50.

If you buy from the Apple retail stores (even if you show your id and they price match the HE discount) you will not get the 3 year warranty (although they may well offer you the opportunity to buy Apple care at a highly discounted rate).

Hope this helps

11. HOSKINGJ macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2006
    OK I'll clear this up for everyone -

The 3 year cover and 1 year phone support only applies to products purchased by the University itself. In other words, you have to go to the appropraite department of your Uni and place an order through them. You can still get higher education discount by phoning Apple sales or using your institution's network, but it will NOT give you the 3 year+1 year phone support. I have made several higher education purchases of hardware items and spoken extensively with the education department.

Hope that helps :)
  12. dunc85 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2006
    Nope, not true. You'll notice that the 3 year warranty is listed on both the HE Institution page and the Individual page.

From an Apple rep:

"As you pointed out correctly a 3 year limited parts and labour warranty is
    available with all Macs bought through the online store with HE discount.

This offer is exclusive to the online store and NOT available in store. It
    is not the Applecare Protection Plan as it purely covers parts and labour,
    NOT 3 years telephone support or the other services which come as part of

He then continues to go on plugging Applecare.
    Note however, at first he denied the existence of this warranty, but after showing him a screenshot, he looked into it further and discovered I was right.
    It seems that many Apple employees don't know about this warranty - just get a screenshot of the HE page to prove it to them.

13. wiraone macrumors member

Oct 31, 2006
    Hi there,

The latest I checked on my warranty, when I went to the AppleCare agreement webpage, I could see the 90-day phone support + 3-yr EMEA limited warranty (two different agreement numbers) but somehow, this does not got updated correctly in the machine warranty (which still showing up as 1-yr). Will give them another call within this week and see if they've sorted this one out.
  14. wiraone macrumors member

Oct 31, 2006
    Was online with Apple Rep again for another 40 minutes on 0870 number (hopefully this is included in my NTL talk unlimited package) .. and guess what, the case hasn't been resolved eventhough I've told the guy that I've the two agreements under my account. He asked me to call back at 1-800 number in a week time.
  15. camking macrumors member

Sep 4, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    I purchased my MBP thru the Higher education store and I've just checked the paper work and I have only got a one year warranty not 3 years as I was expecting.

Hope it's not true that this only applies to Mac's brought by the university.

Seems like there's a few of us in the same boat. Has any one actually got this rumoured 3 years warranty?

Also doesn't everyone get 3 months apple care for free? I haven't been sent any info on apple care at all, and didn't purchase it because i thought i had a free 3 year warranty - If I purchase it now, will i have to pay full price?
  16. wiraone macrumors member

Oct 31, 2006
    By default, you'll get the 3-month phone support and 1-year parts & labour for free. Since I bought mine through the HE website, I was expecting that they're giving me the advertised 3-year parts & labour too as part of the HE promotion (without paying extra). It seems that is not the case though and from my conversation with the Tech Support, they're confused with what is offered by different departments at Apple. My suggestion is to give them a call since from the last conversation I had with the Tech Support, the guy told me that this is a rare case (which I don't think so).
  17. eshroom macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2006
    It should be noted that Apple have not trained their staff at all as concerns the 3 year warranty for Higher Education. Not only this, but for some reason none of the 3 year standard warranties are being registered - for anyone!!!

You must phone Apple and sit there explaining your situation (sometimes just to have them tell you you don't know what you're talking about, and effectively to stop wasting their time).

Be persistent and tell them to google "higher education national contract" - the number 1 hit is the official Apple page with the terms and condition:

To clarify, there is 1 year phone support, instead of 3 months. Then a standard parts and labour warranty for 2 years thereafter. And apparently the offer is only available for online purchases, though I think the store may have just been being difficult when I asked why it hadn't registered (their loss, I ended up returning my 6 week old Macbook just to buy the new C2D version online).

This problem has been around since the offer started, Apple should really sort this out!!!!!
  18. jordygreen macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2006
    London, UK
    I will be buying from online Apple student store i think unless i go to meadowhall sometime soon where there is an actual applestore not a reseller. I saw that warranty thing two, but then i though £50 more isnt exactly the world for 3 years.
  19. peteraigner macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2006
    man guys you ARE lucky ones

I afm from Austria and there the applecare would cost WITH this discount 180 Euro about 120GBP

and the parts an labour is just available for mobile macs like the macbook and the MBP and also costs money *about 100 GBP*

correct me if I am wrong, but you guys have better Prices then we have ;( unfair ;(