UK: Is this Mac a good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A friend of mine has been offered a dual 2.7 G5 with 2gb RAM and 2 x 250gb drives for £1200.

Good price? Whaddya reckon?

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Seems like a tad bit expensive when converted to USD. But I know that the price for Macs tends to be higher across the pond. :eek:

3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

If you could hammer him down to 1k then i think you would have a good deal. Does he have Apple Care or anything like that? Also would be come with any software. I just think that the bottom is falling out of the pre-intel market these days. If you do Photoshop work then it may be a good stop gap for the next 6 months or so.

My advice would be to get a basic Mac Pro (£1400) and uprgade over time.

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

It does come 'loaded' with software but that's worth nothing as the drives will probably be reformatted. There may be some flexibility on price. Doubt there's AppleCare. Thanks though.

5. Queso macrumors G4

I don't know. I'd be thinking they'd get a Quad of that spec for about £1500. What graphics does it have?

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

The standard 256mb card. Probably has an Airport card in it though.
    My friend is quite keen as he still has plenty of uses for Classic apps...

7. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

nihilisticmonk

I'm selling a Dual 2.5 with 3.5gb ram, and an ATI X800 graphics card for £900, so yes, I'd say £1200 for the 2.7 (especially if it has the standard graphics card) is a bit expensive!
    For £200 more you can get a brand new mac pro...since Power PC is buying an (eventual) dead end...the prices must go down.

P.S.
    If anyone's interested in my powermac send me a PM! :)

8. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I suppose the big question is: What does he use now and what sort of improvement will he see in performance / productivity? If he wants to buy 'just to buy' I would never do that on a second hand machine unless there was a real gain to be had.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Now that sounds like a better deal to me. :)

10. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Do you give student discount?

11. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

What does he use now? 1.4 G4, Sonnet card upgraded from 433mhz.

He's a magazine designer and apart from Creative Suite/Quark yaddah yaddah also does a lot of 3D work. Plan is for this to be an interim machine for 18-24 months.

12. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

An interim machine that lasts 2 years! I know alot of people that will go through 2 machines in that time (not me though!). Would definitely be a good machine but he needs to get that price down to aleats 1k.

13. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

nihilisticmonk

lol!

it's already cheap enough ;)

It's a deal, it's a steal......1 careful owner,

14. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

It is very cheap I know but I struggle to get by as it is. I was going to work while at uni but I broke my leg a few months ago so that has screwed me over big time! Good luck with the sale anyway.

15. Case-sensitive macrumors member

I'm finding quark 7 sluggish on our first gen G5 ppcs - i'd definitely recommend paying the bit extra for a pro quad core.