UK iTunes TV download now possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BoyBach, Jun 22, 2006.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006
    Macworld, via a Guardian story, are reporting that TV downloads in the UK iTunes store will now be possible since the broadcasters and producers have settled their dispute about who holds the rights for on-demand/downloads.

About time, I say!
  2. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    god i hope so !!!

but as of yet nothing - key word here is ...........opportunity

By Macworld staff

The opportunity now exists for Apple to make a play to offer movies and TV shows through iTunes in the UK.

This is because clashes between broadcasters and independent programme producers over who controls on-demand rights in the UK have been resolved, according to reports.

The news emerges as UK broadcaster Channel 4 reveals it plans to launch its own movie download service this autumn under its Film Four brand.

The Guardian reports a wave of such services coming from broadcasters, movie studios and technology firms in the coming months, as the gold rush begins in the video-on-demand space.

"Channel 4's business director, Rod Henwood, said the company planned to move into video on demand following its rights deal with Pact, the trade body representing the independent producers, who provide most of its schedule," the newspaper reports.

The service will offer generally available movies as well as the arthouse films Film Four is famed for. It will also offer access to "catch-up" TV.

Screen Digest expects the video on demand market to computers will be worth $244 million by 2010.
  3. Piarco macrumors 68030

Jun 24, 2004
    I heard about the C4 move this morning. BBC3 has been doing this for a bit - the entire series to date of Grown Ups is available online.

Its about time for us poor relatives of the mighty iTMS USA. I still don't understand why some music videos are available over there but not over here... and thats even before we get onto the TV shows! I take they'll only be able to have shows that have already been broadcast i.e. not eat into programs yet to be show over here in Blighty...
  4. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

Mar 8, 2006
    So this means that we'll have to wait until the episodes for shows air in the UK? Or will we get the shows at the same time as the US? If no UK channel picks up a US show does that mean we won't get it?

Meh, either way, TV Shows!