UK iTunes Video Content

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bugfaceuk, Jan 27, 2006.

1. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

I have searched forum, but I'm either a) blind or b) too stupid to get the right search terms because I just can't believe this hasn't already been asked:

Does anybody have any idea when we in the UK are likely to get shows like Lost available through iTunes? I don't (well I do, but I could live with it) much mind if they were to be delayed until they had been played in the UK, but at the moment the benefit of a video iPod in the UK seems somewhat limited...

2. irock macrumors member

3. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

Definite Lack of content

When the movies were introduced in iTMS last year we had music videos and Pixar shorts. Now we have a few more music videos and Pixar shorts.

Where is the other content?:confused:

When the iTMS was intoduced in the US first we at least were told they were working on the issue at that time and then we recieved the UK store.

This time around with videos, nadda, nothing, we don't even know if we are ever going to get something. I know that the BBC have lots of stuff they want to get onto the Internet, iTMS would be ideal for this. However we also need US content too; most of which (latest series of Lost and Battlestar Galactica withstanding) I have already seen on SkyOne or one of the terrestrial channels.

4. croshtique macrumors 6502

BBC content would be tricky with the license fee issues: someone who has a TV license shouldn't be expected to pay for a BBC download for example. Besides, the BBC are working on their own TV download service.

5. bugfaceuk thread starter macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

That's exactly what is confusing the hell out of me, the absolute total radio silence on the matter. Has anyone tried to contact apple?

6. bugfaceuk thread starter macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

Not sure Steve would have a problem with free content supplied by the BBC being available in the UK on iTunes, they have other free content.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    IIRC, the BBC trial is designed to be able to show programmes for 7 days after they were initially broadcast; and I don't think they can be saved to another medium.

There shouldn't be any reason why the BBC shouldn't sell content for download (and keeping) outwith the 7 day period. After all, it's not as if they don't already sell DVDs/videos of BBC content.

8. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

It's licensing issues. One thing is the TV companies don't want stuff on iTMS before it's been shown in the UK on both Sky and terrestrial. Remember it took MONTHS between the launch of the US music iTMS and the launch of the UK music store.

Personally most of the stuff on TV sucks so the lack of TV content doesn't bother me in the slightest. Also I've paid for it once and I'm sure as hell not paying to see it again on a smaller screen.

9. bugfaceuk thread starter macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

So I understand, and I think the foundations of your argument are all correct. It would just be nice to know Apple are activity getting the licensing sorted. There is no reason we can't have any episodes of Lost that have been aired on Terristrial TV surely?

I agree UK TV sucks now, but it's US TV I want to download ;-)

10. croshtique macrumors 6502

But Apple would have to have a system finding out if you had a TV license or not, and it would get horribly complicated.

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

If it was only on the UK store that narrows it down. Lets face it, most people have a TV licence. The licensing people are trying to harass the rest to death - even if they don't have a TV:rolleyes:

12. bugfaceuk thread starter macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

? Why would they have to do that? We pay the TV license to receive broadcasts not to "see programmes that have been on television". I once called license bods to see what you had to do to have a TV just to watch DVDs on and nothing else. All you had to do is ensure no broadcast signal could be recieved. So I think you are barking up the wrong tree....