UK Judge Rules Samsung Tablets 'Not as Cool' as iPad

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the avalanche of patent lawsuits involving Apple, we try to restrict our coverage to the most significant developments such as issued injunctions, final settlements, and monetary awards.

But while a UK judge's ruling today that Samsung's Galaxy Tab products do not infringe upon Apple's iPad design merely maintains the status quo from a competitive perspective in one of the many ongoing cases between the two companies, what is sure to spark discussion is the judge's assessment that the Galaxy tablets are simply "not as cool" as the iPad. Bloomberg reports:
    [​IMG]

More specifically, Birss ruled that the Galaxy tablets' thinner profiles and "unusual details" on the back of the devices made them different enough from the iPad that they were not too similar to Apple's design.

Apple has 21 days in which to appeal the ruling.

Article Link: UK Judge Rules Samsung Tablets 'Not as Cool' as iPad

2. macrumors 68000

Wonder who's more gutted? Lol

3. macrumors 6502a

Hahahaha... even when you win you lose Samsung.

4. macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

In related news: Judges teenage son cringes at fathers use of dated slang.

5. macrumors regular

caligomez

LOL.. It's official! Samsung tablets not as cool as iPad.. Now there's precedent!

6. macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

I hope it didn't take a judge saying that for people to know that it's true.

7. macrumors 6502a

I like this judge :).

I've used a few Samsung tablets demo models in a Tesco nothing special and rather flimsy to be honest.

8. macrumors 6502

I bought my iPad because i knew it was the coolest tablet there is. Suck it, Samsung! :apple:

9. macrumors 6502

dokujaryu

Classic.

I wish all patent cases were ruled on coolness factor.

10. macrumors newbie

"Apple has 21 days in which to appeal the ruling."

Now if Apple wants to appeal the ruling, they'll have to argue that the Samsung tablet is "as cool" as the iPad.

11. macrumors regular

alfistas

So it must run pretty hot then...

12. macrumors 6502

Apple needs to stop attacking every other tablet out there. Everyone knows the iPad is the best! Sure, not everyone can afford one and some people settle for less, but iPad is the rock star.

13. macrumors G5

The comment is silly and ultimately meaningless. But I am sure it will be quoted infinitely here to the point of tedium.

14. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Very interesting legal precedent... "coolness" as grounds for a legal decision!

Soon being a "geek" will be a defense for hacking.:eek:

The legal system, strange at best, is going in some odd directions!:rolleyes::D

15. macrumors 603

Oletros

Both of them? The judge also said that Apple design lacks originality

16. macrumors 6502

Read the article.

17. macrumors 6502a

Of course it's not as cool. That's why no one buys them.

And that's why I'm in awe at Apple's aggressive fight over the Galaxy Tab. When you are near them in a store you hear "crickets"

18. macrumors regular

As of right now, you're right. I don't think it will be the case for too much longer though. You think that the only reason people don't have an ipad, iPhone, ect is because they can't afford it, but that's not all the case. Some people like customization and being able to do what they want to with their product. Others, like myself, have steered away from the company due to their bullying and petty litigation thuggery. That said, they make great products. There are products being made outside of Apple that are just as, if not more, good when it comes to wowness factor.

19. macrumors 6502a

We still have a legal system? I thought it was just another day in business.

20. macrumors 603

ChazUK

Samsung thought it was hip to be square with slightly rounded corners, a flat transparent surface without any ornamentation and a thin profile.

I guess not.

21. macrumors 68020

This headline doesn't tell the whole story. You need to read the judgement in full to appreciate what the Judge said. It's sloppy journalism to sensationalise the story in this way. I'm not a fan of 9 to 5 Mac but at least they have taken the time to quote the judgement in full.

22. macrumors 6502

Yes, because I'm sure your generation invented the word "cool". I'm not sure how slang as generic as "cool" gets dated. It's not like he said sick or ace (also can be argued as "dated" slang).

23. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I did read the article.:)

A little literary license in the service of humor.

Obviously unsuccessful.:eek:
    :D

BTW...thanks for the advice. I'll try to do better in the future.

24. macrumors 65816

kalsta

Can anyone lend this man a sense of humour?

25. macrumors 6502a

the fact is though, Apple quite rightly are defending themselves in the market.

The samsung tablet does look similar in someways to the iPad. from my understanding previous generations of the Galaxy looked so similar to the iPad that they were requested by a judge to change it and add more samsung branding to the product. There are plenty of ways to design a tablet in terms of physical appearance they don't need to keep copying Apples designs.

Check out this link to see how far the Samsung copying has gone
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/28/no-comment-proof-that-samsung-shamelessly-copies-apple/