UK Local By-elections, by a resident...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by hob, Jun 29, 2006.

1. hob macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    OK, so it wasn't exactly nationwide (only two seats were up for election) but I live in the Borough of Bromley!

It is a London borough in the very south-eastern corner of London, on the border with Kent. It is also the largest London borough.

The BBC reports Tories hold Bromley seat.

In his victory speech, the conservative MP mentioned a dirty, underhanded campaign... What disgusts me the most is.... WHAT CAMPAIGN?! I didn't know the election was being held until I just came across the story on the BBC News site.

The page mentions:
    Could this be because NO-ONE KNEW about it?!?!

Flippin 'eck - the lib dems only lost by a couple of hundred votes... I would have most certainly voted for them.

I speak from experience here - not in terms of age, but in the fact that I've been sitting at home most of this month doing this and that - mainly selling my life away on ebay. We have had not ONE knock on the door from any political party.

Now, I might be wrong here - I live in the town of Orpington, but as far as I know this was for "Bromley and Chislehurst" - Bromley is my borough (even though the town is a good few miles away), and Chislehurst is very close by.

And they wonder why there's a disengage in politics?!

FARCE I say!!

(edit: OK, I just found that living in Orpington, I get my own MP... still, none of my non-orpington friends had heard a word about it either!!)
  2. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i see there's a representative from the Silly Party.
  3. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

Mar 12, 2006
    Under the sun
    40.5 would be excellent for local elections here. 69.5 is unheard of- locally or nationally! :p
  4. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    More concerningly, there's a member from UKIP I actually recongnised!

I watched a documentary about the party about 2-3 years ago, about Kilroy and his resignation from it...

Then again, this puts me in a bit of a dilemma, because as much as I dislike the party - I do love the freedom we have in this country to express our views, which means I have to put up with people whos views I totally opose....