UK Looking At DRM Warning Label?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The BBC is reporting that an influential group of MPs in the UK Parliament is seeking to place a warning label on devices that contain DRM technology that would spell out how easy it is to move content from one gadget to another. Also being called for is an inquiry into online music store pricing.

While this appears to a first for requiring warning labels for DRM-enabled media players, similar inquiries into online music store price fixing have appeared in the U.S.

2. macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see some type of label on CDs as to what copy-protection they have after that Sony fiasco. It's one of the reasons I buy a bunch of stuff on iTunes, at least they disclose what the DRM is on their songs. When you buy a CD you have no idea whether it will even allow you to put it in your computer or not.

3. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I would like to know what DRM is incorporated into media I buy so that I have a good idea of how hard it would be to circumvent it... ;)

4. macrumors 68000

I believe that this is exactly one of things they are talking about doing. BTW - why are people voting negative on this story? If you vote negative you clearly hate consumer rights. Having DRM encumbered media being labelled as such is a good thing.

5. macrumors 6502a

How do you know what type of DRM comes on the items you buy from iTunes...it's beacause u follow Apple. I'm sure the people who followed Sony knew about the DRM.

6. ATG
    macrumors regular

Lol :D

I hardly buy any CDs anymore this doesn't affect me.

People will always vote negative. People would vote negative if apple gave MBPs away for free to everybody.

7. macrumors 6502

grockk

Because voting here doesn't ever make any sense. Are you voting positive for the story? Positive for the information? Positive because you like it, negative you don't? positive because you are having a good day. Positive cuz you believe it, or negative cuz you don't. Positive because you want it to be true, negative because you don't.

There's no definition of why to vote any which way. So these votes never make sense.

8. macrumors 603

gekko513

There are a lot of people who don't follow Apple or Sony and still buy products from them.

9. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, come to think of it, me neither... ;)

Of course they would, because this would be viewed as a poor business decision on Apple's part which would negatively affect their bottom line. Plus, who would want a free MBP? :p ;) :D

10. macrumors 6502a

Rubbish.

The iTunes Music store has it's Terms of Service on the bottom of the screen and IIRC when you sign up for iTMS it shows them then also.

Sony didn't state that their DRM scheme required installing a rootkit.

11. hob
    macrumors 68020

hob

This could affect Apples UK sales of iPods...

that being said, just about everyone I know who would want an iPod has one... it's just whether or not they will buy another one when their old one becomes defunct.

Also, the iPod halo effect seems to be kicking in - many of my friends are now buying macs!!

12. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Fine... so long as when they force Apple to open up Fairplay, they force Microsoft to make WMP platform-agnostic too.

To be honest, I have a Mac and I have an iPod. I've never hit an iTunes 'limit' yet with anything I've bought for use in a photo slideshow, an iMovie or just burning a CD.

My risk is if I decide to make my next music player not an iPod when I'd be faced with rebuying/burning my music again. Or if they change the goalposts as to the burn limits etc.

What always gets me about DRM is that it limits the average consumer more than those that it's defined to stop. They always find a way around it that Joe Bloggs doesn't have the time/skill to achieve. Result: there's still piracy but the consumer is worse off.

13. macrumors 6502a

So, what's your point?
    We're talkin about whether people know about DRM when buying products from Apple/Sony.

This is true, but how many people read the terms of service.
    My aunt bought one of those DRM cd's, and ended up having to reinstall Windows.

14. macrumors newbie

content not devices

No, they're not recommending labelling devices (like iPods), they're recommending labelling content: "We recommend that the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) bring forward appropriate labelling regulations so that it will become crystal clear to consumers what they will and will not be able to do with digital content that they purchase." What they can do with the content has little to do with the device, and much to do with the DRM wrappers on the content.

The full report is here.

15. macrumors 603

gekko513

You said that people who follow Sony probably knew about their DRM, which doesn't really matter since there are probably lots of people who buy from the iTMS without understanding the DRM just as there were lots of people who bought Sony CDs that didn't know what kind of DRM they used.

16. macrumors G3

bigandy

while a good idea from consumer points of view i sincerely hope that they don't poke apple in the eye by pointing out the closed system of iPod/iTunes as a bad thing and Windows Media devices as a good thing...

17. macrumors newbie

great idea

this is actually really a great idea. if people are more aware of DRM (non-technical people really don't have a clue) then it will really hurt companies with restrictive DRM.

plus, they could make them look like warnings on cigarette packages.

18. macrumors 6502a

Wrong. What I was saying that the reason why he knew about the DRM that Apple used is because he follows Apple. And that someone that followed Sony would have know about the DRM. And these numbers would be small. How many regular joes read the license agreement

19. macrumors 603

gekko513

OK, so we have the same point then. I'm glad we agree. :D Sorry for the misunderstanding.

20. macrumors 6502a

Apple posts theirs every time you update it and they have a page about it on their Web site too (http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/authorization/). As far as I know, you couldn't even find out Sony's if you call them. It ceartainly isn't apparent anywhere on their Web site. It took an expert user finding the root kit and alerting the media for them to come clean about that. The music industry is constantly expirementing with new forms of copy protection on new CDs. In the past these have included root kits which open your computer to hackers, CDs that can damage a computer's cd drive and copy protection that will only work in Windows Media format and therefore not on iPod's. This right here is the reason I don't buy CDs any more. I'm not going to shell out $20 for something that may or may not work on my iPod and may or may not damage my computer.

Now if only they'd get some labelling like this in the U.S...

21. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

What! Free MBP's?? Okay, Apple has lost it if they are just giving them away. What a huge loss in capital, loss in profits. How can anyone (investors) trust them again after this fiasco. I'm voting negative, as many times as I can!

22. macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

It's not hard to find out in 2 seconds online what kind of DRM is on stuff iTunes sells, and I even kind of figured it out when I didn't closely follow Apple just by buying stuff.... it's easy to figure out, imo.

23. macrumors 6502a

;)
    I'm sure there are many people out there that don't know that they can't use their MP3's from iTunes on other non iPod products.

24. macrumors 68000

So the music broke windows! You kids and your loud music! :p

25. macrumors 6502

What does this all mean? Sorry for sounding stupid...