UK Mac owners help! (Memory for MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JoeKarame, Aug 13, 2006.

1. JoeKarame macrumors regular

JoeKarame

I just know I'm being thick here, but can some nice soul guide me to an online site which sells the correct 1gb memory sticks for the MBP? I've been looking for ages, and I'm getting completely confused about the whole thing. Thing is though, I need them from a site like eBuyer or Dabs, as I want to pick up an OEM copy of some software too!

(might as well kill two birds with one stone!)

If anyone can help point out an actual link, I'd be incredibly grateful!

If US Mac owners want to help though, you're more than welcome - I love help!

Thanks, Joe

2. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

http://www.crucial.com/uk

doesn't help with your two birds with one stone though sorry

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Dabs sell Crucial RAM. Go to Crucial and spec it with the correct code and get it through Dabs. Doddle.

4. rob finch macrumors member

I bought this RAM for my Mac Mini, you will want the same specifications for your MBP.

They sell software too!

5. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Scan is very good! I've used them quite a lot before, have had no problems with them.

6. JoeKarame thread starter macrumors regular

JoeKarame

Thanks guys - specially Rob for that link! I'll be getting that one (fairly good value really) and the software from them then!

Thanks again.

7. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Well, that Corsair is a great price. Is it recommended for Macs?

I got mine from eBuyer.

It's Kingston, recommended for Apples, cost £74.59 inc VAT and it's been in my MBP for just over a months now and I've hammered it without one single freeze or crash so I'm very happy with it.

Prior to that I ordered a cheaper stick of RAM from eBay (as recommended by some people on MacRumors) and my machine crashed around 3 times an hour so I removed it pretty quickly.

Here's the link to the stuff I bought:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/103356

Steve

8. TBR macrumors 6502

I used crucial to find out exactly what RAM I needed then went and bought it from scan for a lot cheaper!

9. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I spent sometime looking for that on ebuyer, they have to sort out there website, it can be quite hard sometimes to find stuff!

10. JoeKarame thread starter macrumors regular

JoeKarame

I think that was the problem I had - I use ebuyer a fair amount, but most products are fairly easy to buy. Memory I always have a problem with - everything upgrade I used to do with my PCs always involved shelling out hideous amounts because they always seemed to change on such a regular basis!

Also, I had the misfortune to order 2 x 1gb sticks from them a while back, and got sent 2 x 256mb sticks in error - which was rather annoying, and took about a month to sort everything out!

11. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I used to buy Crucial RAM but after a recommendation by another MR member, I tried www.orcalogic.co.uk - Honestly couldn't be more impressed! Just as quick as crucial, RAM is certified 100% compatible just like crucial, and here's the best bit, the 1GB Stick I bought was 25% cheaper than crucial and it runs like a champion!

Save yourself some money and try them instead of crucial.

12. arcsbite Guest

I second Orca, I've never used anyone else...but then with Orca's prices and guarantee's...I've never needed to!