UK - Manchester Arndale - Apple iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Erratic., Sep 19, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

UK - Manchester Arndale - Apple iPhone 5

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had experienced queuing up in the past at Manchester Arndale? It's the first time I'll be queuing up so wasn't sure how it happens. Also, which doors would be opened early morning? Would it be ok if I queue up for a family member that'll be purchasing the iPhone and let him side by me? (Seen as he'll be paying, heh). Any replies would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. macrumors newbie

Was there for the iPhone 4S launch. The Arndale opened the doors along Withy Grove next to Greggs and the Birdcage. http://goo.gl/maps/bQuWs
    Would think it would be OK for your relative to be next to you. Last year, I was behind two guys, one of which wasn't going to buy the 4S. Just there for company.

3. macrumors regular

What time do they quees start at Arndale from past experience?

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great, thanks for your reply!

My relative would join me at a later time, I'd be there at around 3:30am and he at 7am, since I'll be queuing up for him in the morning, he'd be buying me an iPhone 5 just for queuing up for him.

5. macrumors newbie

Not sure when the queues started. I got there at 5.30 am and the end of the queue was at the ticket barriers at the spiral car park exit, though there was a gap for the service entrance.

6. macrumors regular

Thanks for this, would you think getting there at 6am would be too late? And did the Apple Store staff come out giving tickets to people corresponding to their preferred model and colour, like they do at times in the London Apple Stores?

7. macrumors newbie

Once your inside the Arndale, an Apple Store employee does go down the line handing out cards. You need the card for when you go upstairs and join the upper level queue.
    You may be able to get an iPhone but maybe not the one you originally wanted. Last year, 16 GB white were sold out by the time the employee came to me.

There were a lot of Chinese and Asian people there buying two iPhones to either sell one or both. A group behind me were negotiating how much they were selling their iPhones with two separate groups ahead of me.

8. macrumors newbie

I've never stood in a que before for an iPhone but i would like to do so for the iPhone 5. i was just wondering do you have to wait outside the arndale or do they let you inside to wait ? :)

9. macrumors member

Any idea how fast the store sells out? A friend of mine wants to go on Saturday, any chance they'd have some 64GB black ones left?

10. macrumors regular

Cheers for this, I am looking into a higher end model, so hopefully won't be sold out. It also seems like Trafford Centre will be more crowded...

11. macrumors newbie

Staff opened the doors at seven to let people who work in the Arndale in. They also let the first batch of people inside to stand along the hallway.

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

FastWatch, what time did you go to the Arndale Apple store? Were there many people there before you? Also, what time would you suggest that we go so we can get an iPhone 5? Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Not long to go, what time are you guys planning to go? :)

13. macrumors newbie

Thinking about going about 7am? do you think i can make it into work for 10am?

anyone at the arndale now? care to take pictures

14. macrumors newbie

Will people queuing up have pre-orders or can you just turn up?

And is Withy Grove the best entrance to wait at?

15. macrumors newbie

I arrived at 5.30 am and was next to to ticket barrier for the exit of the spiral ramp. http://goo.gl/maps/SfyBS
    I think they were around 100 people ahead of me when I arrived but I cannot be certain.

16. macrumors newbie

Am at the gate beside Birdcage, there are 7 people queuing here. LOL. I'm gonna stay up all night for this bloody phone!!!

17. macrumors newbie

Anyone want to get mine... see you there at 9 ;)

18. Erratic., Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

thread starter macrumors newbie

Care to share pictures? Not of yourself but of the queue. ;)

Also, anyone care to update on the amount of people queuing roughly every 30 mins or so? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

19. macrumors newbie

Had a walk past 30 mins ago, bout 15 people sat at the birdcage entrance.

20. macrumors newbie

Is it true, they don't take cash for the iPhones, just debit/creditcard

21. macrumors newbie

Sorry I don't know how to upload picture from mobile site. There are 14 people in the queue now.

22. macrumors newbie

Thats what i was told. Not sure if its for speed or security but kinda makes sense either way.

23. macrumors newbie

Update: there is about 30 people in line ATM.

24. macrumors newbie

25. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, roughly how many people do you think there is?

Also, is position 170 - 180 good to get the white one? - Anyone with exp. know?

Thanks