UK Movies on iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by a456, Jan 10, 2007.

1. a456 macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2005
    So, we can now buy an Apple TV in the UK for £199. Problem is where are the TV shows and movies to play on it? 'Come and see my Apple TV, I can play movie trailers, music videos and music on it.' 'Great, can we watch a movie tonight?' 'Er, yeah I'll put a DVD in the DVD player.'
  2. SweetOleMac macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2005
    True, we have been waiting, for what seems years ( i know it's not been years) for Movies & TV Shows, how hard can it be to get Shows & Movies to the UK Store?...must be really hard.

No way am i paying £200 for what is basiclly a audio and photo streamer at the momment.
  3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    I imagine that you will be able to import your own DVDs and TV Shows into iTunes as you can at the moment, and then stream them across. The only problem is that if you put your own TV show from a DVD into iTunes you can't set it as a TV show.
  4. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    You can set it as a TV show, you just tag the Video section of the file when you do a Get Info on it. I have a bunch of TV shows ripped from DVD that are tagged properly as TV shows with season and episode numbers and they work perfectly on my iPod, all of them were tagged as TV Shows in iTunes.

The big problem is if you have all the DVDs then why not just watch the DVD? Why go through all the laborious Handbrake encoding into compatible files when you can just pop the DVD on and watch it in full quality?
  5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
  6. a456 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2005
    As I understand it DVD copying is currently a grey area and the same rules as CDs do not apply. Hence iTunes does not import DVDs only CDs. If this is sorted out then the Apple TV becomes more useful, but still there are issues to be sorted out re video compression if we are not going to live in houses where we have banks of hard-drives in our cupboards to store all this stuff.
  7. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Why? You live in a house currently with banks of CDs/DVDs/paper files of letters/bills so why not replace them with couple of external hard drives which will take up far less room...
  8. mrploddy macrumors member

Aug 19, 2006
    My point exactly. What is the point of Apple TV in the UK without the Movies or TV shows.

With a choice between

a) Go to Tesco buy £20 DVD player and DVD's on a wall rack in the lounge
    b) Spend hours? converting DVD's to iTunes format

I personally take Option a) because I'm lazy and hate the hassle. I'm not gonna buy an Apple product just because it's an Apple product. It's gotta make my life easy. Making my life easy is saving a trip to Tesco to buy a DVD and just downloading it instead and letting Apple TV doing the rest.

The Apple TV was not meant/designed for importing your own movies/tv shows it was designed for upselling movies and tv shows from the itunes store by giving people more than one place to watch their media away from the computer.

So sorry the argument that you can convert your DVD's doesnt wash with me, I'll take the less hassle tesco + dvd player route thanks.

9. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    i agree - for the past 6 months or more i've been slowly converting my DVD collection to H.264 - soon my DVD collection will be no more when Blu-ray and HD-DVD comes along .

if i can download a movie from the iTunes Store i will - 1 it will be instant 2 it's better for the enviroment well less plastic anyway.