UK new PB Combi buyers: US/UK price difference is amazing...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by unregbaron, Jan 22, 2004.

1. unregbaron macrumors regular

I'm sure you're aware already but it weak dollar means a 15"PB in US is at least £600 ( $1098 ) cheaper than buying here - means it would pay for a weekend in the big apple!

Attached Files:

2. Pseudonym macrumors regular

You could always fly over and pick one up. Even with the VAT you'd be in profit.

Seems the perfect excuse for a weekend in NY to me:)

On a more serious note the whole US/UK pricing things bugs me, but I guess I have just got used to it now. Seeing everything is shipped via pretty well every country in the world there is little argument for the difference. I'd be happy with about a £100 markup to take account of fluctuations in the exchange rate.

But that's life:rolleyes:

edit: spelling

3. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Don't forget that UK prices include VAT but US prices do NOT include local sales taxes, as I believe they vary from State to State.
    Vanilla

4. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Still works out much cheaper with tax, but that's the way it is. Also beware you have to put up with those horrid US keyboards (IMO)!

6. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Good point. Out of interest, does anyone know roughly what the state taxes are?

7. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    there are 2 states without sales tax, i think alaska and oregon...to bad they are on teh other coast!!!

9. 27407 macrumors member

In texas sales tax is 8.25%... 4 does not sounds too low for NY.

10. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Oh man, high taxes and expensive computers! What do we get in return? David Dickinson!

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

It's true. UK has far more tax than the US. Not only 17.5% VAT on all our goods but so many other stealth taxes too!

Unfortunately, the UK is just expensive anyway... :(

12. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

how about 22% VAT in finland?

i'm currently buying a 15" SD powerbook and with a single sodimm 1GB memory / 60GB hd. here the thing costs 3600eur, which translates into 4600usd. same config in apple.com US store costs 3000usd, so all in all i have to pay 53% extra.

not funny.

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I think that really warrants a holiday in the States..

14. m2uk macrumors regular

JFreak.. just hope you don't have to send any repairs to Machuolto in Hki... About five weeks for my G4 and 23" screen from local dealer to MH and back again..

I think our American friends would have a fit.. five days seems too long for sure !

Wonder if the prices are cheaper in Estonia?

15. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

IIRC New Hampshire and Delaware don't have sales tax either

16. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

auch, that sucks. but the prices of apple hardware suck way more...

estonian prices would be interesting to find out. maybe there are some mafia-supplied stores that can offer stuff for really good prices :) oh well, maybe i just pay what is asked for and get a legal 'book.

17. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

for NYC (and not NY), i think there are two taxes... city and state. so 4% may have been just the city tax. it does sound a bit low... neighboring NJ is 6%...

i wouldn't be surprised if it's 4% for the city, another 4% for the state..?

18. verloren macrumors newbie

On the other hand there are many more 'fees' over here I think. For example, the $14.90 I pay for local phone service comes out to $23.46 once all the fees are added on.

The US is still cheaper, yes, but not as much as it first appears.

19. kanker macrumors 6502

Remember, we revolted because of a half percent tax (among a few other things). ;) The other thing is that we have national, state, and local income taxes (most places at least), and a whole bunch of other hidden taxes on things like petrol (price includes national and state taxes) and tobacco (same). Makes up a lot of the VAT difference.

20. rdas7 macrumors regular

rdas7

Re: UK taxes

Although we are paying such high taxes here in the UK for everything, it does take some of the sting out when you look at what the government spends it on:

There is a stellar public transport system, top notch railways and airports. Quality of life is so much higher, less traffic & congestion and certainly better value for money (that price difference for the PowerBook will get you a proper UK keyboard layout, after all...)

Not to mention the weather: who would *choose* to live anywhere else?

;)

21. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Re: Re: UK taxes

Yeah true. And there's our lovely royal family and those cheeky cockney chappies who so politely clean your windscreen for you and refuse any payment. And our super airway buses pulled by large flying pigs:D

22. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Well, I just went on to CompUSA, selected an item, entered a New York City ZipCode and checked out the Tax.

It's 8.625%

Cheers
    Vanilla

23. purplehaze macrumors newbie

I know, the differences in price almost warrant a trip to the US straight away. I'll be switching as soon as the Powerbook G5 comes out and have been thinking of buying it in New York.

I have a few questions, though...

Isn't the AC adapter different? If that's the case, can you buy a converter or do you have to fork out for a new one in the UK?

Are there any legal restrictions on buying electrical goods abroad? Should there be any problems with customs?

If the powerbook was faulty, could I return to Apple in the UK or would I have to ship it over to the US?

24. Pseudonym macrumors regular

The US tech specs give the line voltage as 100 - 240v so I guess you would be OK on that front.

I'm not aware of any problems on importing electrical goods. I bought a CD player in Singapore once and brought it in OK. You would probably have to pay VAT on it when you get to customs.

As to support, that would be worth a email to AppleCare to ask. If you live near an Apple Centre you could take it in there to be fixed, so I would have thought the warranty would cover that (there must be plenty of business travellers who would need that kind of cover).

25. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Well if you do buy it over there I THINK you can reclaim the sales tax at the airport.
    Of course if you decide to be nice and legal, declare it at customs and pay VAT on entering the UK , add on the cost of a UK AC unit (much nicer than having to use an adaptor on the US one) plus add on the cost of your flight ticket to get you to New York in the first place, your net savings will not be that dramatic and you do end up with a US keyboard layout.
    Food for thought.
    Vanilla