UK NTL wireless router?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gosh, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Gosh macrumors 6502

Hi All, Hi Al,

Any UK Macateers managed to get NTL cable modem to work wirelessly via a Router to a single Mac?

I've easilly managed a wireless arrangement with one computer via Modem Router on a BT line at one place I live but gave up with NTL/Belkin at the other place.

PC World took the Belkin Router back and confirmed it wouldn't work!?!:confused:

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Im on Telewest/Blueyonder which is basically NTL. My modem connects the Airport Extreme base. I have a PMG5 and a MB running fine on it.

4MB line.

:)

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I am using an Netgear Router with NTL to give wireless to a Mac (or 2) and a couple of PC's running XP, we don't have any problems atm, though the PC's had problems in the beginning with connection failures.

Other than that it's fine, quite cheap (£38 on Amazon as linked), and very easy to setup, it also has WPA security which makes everything more secure.

To setup the NTL modem I first had to plug it into my Mac directly to activate it then once that was done I plugged it into the router, (the NTL software crashed loads with OS X 10.4 and you had to locate the web setup form on the CD, there was also a special code you had to type in, call NTL for help with this.)

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As I have now found my NTL disk the web form (AKA the modem registration form) is located in the NTLHome CD/Setup/ folder.

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i tried a belkin at 1st but was useless and kept on cutting out so im now using a netgear which is great, i had to use my pc to set it up though, dont know if you can download the settup software or what but mac os wasnt on the disk :S, this is with ntl dsl

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As I said above, on the Mac unfortunately you have to set it up manually.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

I have a Linksys wireless router running perfectly wih an NTL modem.

8. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Do you perhaps have a DSL router, and are in need of a Cable one? Apple ones all work fine for me on NTL!

9. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for these replies.

Definitely was a Belkin router for Cable which I tried.

I gonna try another make as above - see how I get on.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

For some reason I couldn't set up the Linksys router to work using OS 10.3 I had to use OS 10.2.8.

But I do have version 2.2 so maybe a new one will be easier.

11. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I'm using NTL with an Airport Express.
    I followed instructions on the Apple support forums but I've lost the link since -, I haven't needed it!

12. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Yes I have, the NTL modem you get uses mac authentication so before installing anything turn the router of for a few minutes if you don't then it won't work because it has the mac address of the computer is was attached to and not the mac address of the router you want it to have.. turn the wireless router if you may want to run 2 or more computers from the wireless router make sure that the DHCP server is enabled allowing the router to assign IP-addresses to each indivdual computer. connect the wireless router and there you have it!