Uk Orange Broadband Osx Problem.....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mikebatho, Oct 24, 2006.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

I have a friend who has just bought another friend's iMac, just for a bit of web pottering.

We installed OSX last night, not bothering with OS9, as we quite rightly thought that she'd never need it (not a big computer user, first time mac user, so best not to confuse things - I thought)

She has free UK broadband through her orange mobile phone, has come to connect up the mac, only to be told by the Orange website it can only be used with Mac OS8-OS9..!!!!!

Why!!!

Is this just an outdated piece of information?

Or if it's true, is there a way round it....?

2. dcv macrumors G3

This had better not be the case as my sister's Orange broadband is being activated later this week... and both her and her boyfriend are OS X only users :eek:

3. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Yes this is very true. I have had the same experience with an unfortunate lady who brought herself a brand new iMac, only to find Orange obstructed her at every turn.

There is hope however, but it's not always straight forward and easy. You need to have a router, if Orange gave your sister their "LiveBox" then this should be fine. It is similar to Macs and AOL broadband. You cannot put the AOL software on and log on normally like a Windows machine, but if you're on a router you can sometimes get through anyway by using firefox or safari as long as you are connected to the router properly.

This is what the lady I helped did and it got her mostly up and running, however being a new Mac user she couldn't remember how to do certain things, so rang up Apple, they were really really helpful to her and got her up and running on her Orange broadband for the last sretch dispite Orange's efforts and them saying it is not supported over the phone to her.

Stick at it. It's by no means open and easy, but can be done, and my experience is that if you really get stuck, ring Apple up and they will help you as much as they can.

4. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I'm hoping there's a logical explanation.

Don't know if it applies anywhere alse, but here in the UK, that's what the website says.

Can only hope that the website is wrong.....

I mean, it doesn't make any sense!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

5. seanf macrumors 6502

I assume she has a free USB modem from Orange? If so, just get a router with an ADSL modem and she should be all set.

Sean :)

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Even though it says that here:
    http://www.orange.co.uk/time/whatyouneed/

I can't believe that would apply to your usual broadband setup; that might refer to installing some kind of set-up software as it refers to needing a CD-R drive. For OSX, you will probably have to configure your router and network preferences yourself.

http://www.orange.co.uk/time/faqs/bb_faqs.htm#mac

As far as I know, Orange now owns Wannadoo which is how they're offering this package; one that I've declined, even as an Orange subscriber, as I don't trust the ISP offerings from phone companies after reading of the debacle of Talk Talk.

7. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that. I'm not much of a tech-head myself, so I did find your advice a little confusing...

Of course, it doesn't help when - because my friend doesn't live here - I don't know what kit Orange have given her.....

Can you let me have the APPLE phone number you passed onto your lady?

Might turn out that's the best thing I can pass on to her.....

Cheers.

8. MacAli macrumors newbie

Don't worry, if it's a Livebox then it's straight forward to configure. If it's USB then a router will be needed.

Try

http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/

You'll find a lot of help there.

9. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, Great. I'm getting somewhere now.

She's just emailed me to say YES! Indeed she did get a livebox with the package...

So what does she need to do to get connected...?

10. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Plug in the LiveBox - follow whatever instructions she had with it.

Go to her Mac, turn on AirPort, and join whatever name her network has on the LiveBox router.

11. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? That simple....?

That is with any browser? I've just been looking at another site that gave FIREFOX only instructions.

However, until she can get connected to the web, she has no way of downloading FIREFOX

12. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Sorry for my confusing first post!

You do not need a browser to connect to the wireless network the LiveBox creates. Simply click on the "fan" icon in the top left hand corner by the clock and volume control (i.e.: the AirPort icon, sorry if that is patronising!) this will bring down a list of options, such as turning Airport on etc, as well as giving a list of available wireless networks, her LiveBox being one of them.

When she tries to connect to the LiveBox using her AirPort she will need to enter thep pre-configured wireless security key when prompted, before the Mac is allowed onto the LiveBox. With LiveBoxes this is already set up for you and you can find the key underneath the LiveBox on a label. It will be a long looking line of numbers and letters. Entering that when prompted by her AirPort should connect her to the LiveBox. From there see if Safari can simply get Internet straight away.

13. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

So this is what she does?

1 plug in all the bits & cables.

2 click the fan icon (don't worry - I didn't know that was airport!!)

3 Select LIVEBOX

4 Enter any keys required

5 Connect

Apple provided this list of instructions when I just called them:

STAGE 1 - Make sure your account has been activated, and that the livebox is configured properly (this part IS orange's responsibility)

Connect all your broadband cables & boxes.

Go to APPLE (top left, or it may be in your dock) & click NETWORK

SHOW - BUILT IN ETHERNET

Click the tab saying TCP.IP

And in there there should be the following:

IP ADDRESS
    ROUTE ADDRESS
    SUB NET

If all these fields are filled in, then you should be connected. If not, then refer to STAGE 1

As I say, if the numbers are there, touch nothing else. Come out of System Prefs....

Open SAFARI and you should be connected to the internet

14. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Basically yes.

The instructions Apple gave you are to connect to the LiveBox via a ethernet networking cable. The LiveBox is a wireless router so you can either plug in via a cable (make sure you plug into the right socket, if I remember correctly there are 2 which are different colours (red and yellow I think?) for use at different times.) Or more conveniently connect via the wireless AirPort.

Follow these steps: (Modified from Apple's steps)

1. Ensure LiveBox is plugged into your phone socket in the wall, via those ADSL filters that should be included.

2. Ensure accout is fully set up by Orange, as Apple said, this is totally Orange's responsibility.

3. Click on the before mentioned AirPort logo and select the wireless network (I'm not sure it will be called "LiveBox", I think it has it's own unique random name (might look scrambled letters and numbers, but I can't quite remember, so don't panic if you cannot see "LiveBox" in the list.

4. Go to APPLE (top left, or it may be in your dock) & click NETWORK

SHOW - AirPort

Click the tab saying TCP/IP

And in there there should be the following:

IP ADDRESS
    ROUTE ADDRESS
    SUB NET

If all these fields are filled in, then you should be connected. If not, then refer to STAGE 1...so as it says, if these steps go without a hitch and the thing still isn't working, chances are there is a problem Orange's end. (they have had problems recently, they had equipment stolen from a datacentre in London!).

One final check that can be done if it isn't working is to check the lights on the LiveBox. There should be an Internet light (honestly cannot remember whether this is an "i" or what, but it should be fairly straight foward to figure out which one is the "Internet" or "modem" light. If it is blinking in a set pattern (or is orange, against the uusual yllowy green) then your broadband isn't set up correctly.

Hope this helps.

15. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all your help.

I'll let you know how she gets on this evening.....

16. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

One last thing - will her old graphite iMac with an early version of OSX have AIRPORT...?

17. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Someone will probably give you a better answer, but I don't believe it was standard, so if it was an added extra, or paid for a higher model with it in as standard I'm not sure.

If not, I'm sure you could still fit an Airport in it (**looks to others for confirmation!**).

Failing all that, there is still the ethernet adapter.

18. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ethernet is all systems go, and it's all sorted.

As usual, I've had to go away from the source to find helpful, practical advice.

Thanks guys.....

19. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ah good good.

Hope she enjoys the Mac goodness on the tinernet!