UK, Parents want to buy me 50" HD Rear Projection TV, Help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by combatcolin, Nov 16, 2006.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

My mum phoned me the other day and asked, wuite out of the blue, if would like a 50" Sony rear projection LCD HD TV as a sort of belated moving in and christmas present.

:eek:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...Type=Overview&category=TVP+Rear+Projection+TV

Argos have them on offer from £1400 to £999 and they would be paying for it buy and intrest free credit agreement.

After the shock it took me a while to think about it, as there are a few things im worried about.

1: REAR PROJECTION
    Now, to be rear projection seems a solution to the problem og large glass heavy screens, now that we have LCD and Plasma can they still cut it?

2: CONNECTIONS
    In 1 part of the description from the Sony web site it states that it has 2 HDMI connecters both with HDMP, but in another section it dosn't mention them at all.

Worried.

3: BULB LIFE AND COST
    How long do the bulbs last for? I know there priecy but how much?
    The site again has no details

4:NOISE
    With th exception of the switch on de guass my old 32" Sony is silent, but how noisy are rear projectors?

In the end i am still very tempted by my parents offer, but i lack any real world experience with rear projection screens.

Help!, and thanks for reading!

:)

2. Kolind macrumors regular

I would probably see if I could find a plasma/LCD instead, you don't have to worry about all the things you write about, they are (a lot) smaller and easier to move around/hang on a wall/whatever and you should be able to get pretty good picture quality for those kind of money. Maybe check out www.play.com, they often have some very good deals. Just make sure you go to a real store and look at the TV before ordering it online ;)

3. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Yeh go LCD! It's changing times and if you've got the opportunity to go for a nice freebie you may aswell get the best you can.

If she doesn't want to pay all that much, you could meet the difference and get something that will last you a good many years?

4. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Has anyone out there got a big boy Rear Projector?

Could you Share your expeience with them please?

Must admit, thought of WOW on a 50" is very tempting.
    And a 360 would be, well much more desirable.

5. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

http://scobleizer.com/2006/06/23/which-hdtv/

I think this guy seems happy with his. No, you can't hang it on your wall, but no big deal, really. Not sure about "noise" from your tv, but if you went to a store, you'd probably hear any noise the TV makes.

7. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Found a good AV foroum and have spent the last 30 minutes reading everything.

17 pages on this 1 TV!

Anyway, very much leaning towards this set, + Cheap RefurbIntel Mac Mini + BT KB mouse! :) :) :)

Done the measuements and it surprisingly "compact" and will still give me a 9 foot + viewing diatance.

John Lewis have it even cheaper at £899 with free 5YR warranty, so thats a no-brainer.

Just have to cough up the money for a 360 if i decide to buy 1.

Lots of pics if i do.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I have arear projection TV that is around three years old, and the bulb has not had to be replaced yet.

And for the other question I havn't noticed any noise from mine.

9. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

10. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

That's a popular tv at the store I work at, here in the states. Good choice. If I had to buy a 720p set, it'd be one of my final choices.

11. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Thats a very nice TV, and they have a great, super-sharp picture and beautiful colors. :D Congrats man.

12. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Turning up on Tuesday, between 10 - 2.

Roped in my dad, who is working at 2, and my sister, who has to pick her boys up from school at 3, to help me unpack the beast.

:D