UK PC World Deal: Worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Eagon, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Eagon macrumors member

After previous experiences with PC World I am reluctant to buy anything else from them but today while looking at the Apple products in my local store I found a deal which looks O.K. It consisted of:

- 20" ACD
    - Mac Mini 1.25 GHz pre-"update" with 256Mb RAM
    - Logitech Keyboard and mouse set

for £748 ($1,345 approx)

Bearing in mind that the display with educational discount costs £505 ($909) and the Mac mini starts at £337 ($606) with edu discount, is this a good deal?

I am starting university in september and I would like ideally an iBook but this offer looks good.

Thanks in advance,
    Eagon (long time reader, first time poster)

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's not a bad deal but I'm not sure I'd go for it. You're saving about £120 over the price of the updated Mini and an Apple keyboard/mouse. You'll definitely need more RAM in it and you'll probably want to make sure, given that it's PC World, that it comes with Tiger. Since the Mini has only one RAM slot, you might want to go all the way up to 1GB - you could probably survive without upgrading the 'new' Mini. Remember another difference is that old ones don't have Bluetooth or Airport. If you have a BT phone or your Uni has a wireless network, you may find the old one wanting or running out of USB ports for adaptors rapidly!

Dixons online were dumping all their ADCs so it may be that PC World is getting out of the market too. What are they selling the ADC for on its own?

Last thing, do you know where you're staying at Uni yet? Will you have room for the 20" ACD? Are you likely to end up working in your room a lot or will you be working in the library etc? The iBook might be a better call - even if you don't get the added advantage of having a screen for the longterm.

3. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

You can't argue with the saving you're making on the deal, whatever you get. However I do have to agree with with Applespider, the iBook may be a better bet for you. The extra money you will be spending on an iBook over this deal may be worth it due to the portability, extra RAM, wireless, bluetooth and garentee of Tiger etc.

PC World being part of the same Dixons group could mean that, as you said Applespider, they could be getting out of the market. Which I would be gutted about, I was hoping they would get into the market properly, not get out what little bit they were in it anyway! My local store had an old iMac G4 they were trying to flog cheap when the new iMac G5 came out, unfortunately they weren't selling it that cheap, only £100 or so cheaper, if that, to a brand new G5.

But for University, I would highly recommend an iBook/PowerBook over the mac mini or anything else. Once you get your own place get a mini to have as a desktop! but for now I'd go for an iBook.

Hope this helps, and that you're not too gutted!

4. dcv macrumors G3

PC World are selling the ADC at the usual £549 price point - I called them the other day when Dixons went out of stock!

The PC World package sounds like a good deal at that price, but it is the previous model and as Applespider pointed out it's missing a few components. If you're planning on taking a mac to Uni with you then it you'd probably be better off with an iBook - much more portable and durable, similar price to the package you mentioned but you won't need as many upgrades as pretty much everything you'll need is built-in.

5. Eagon thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the advice, i wasn't too bothered about the mac mini, it was more the display I was attracted to, i'm pretty sure wether i had enough room for it or not i would find/make room for it. I'll go along with the advice and look at a 'book

6. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Cool. Let us know how you get on with it.
    Screen prices are coming down all the time now, perhaps an ACD won't be too far past your budget later on. (Because I'd sure like one too!) :)

7. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I did notice, even at the online store that all Mac minis at PC World/Dixons/Currys (same shops) are the old versions with Mac OS X 10.3 Panther. So they are basically selling out of date hardware.

8. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Yes I hate the way the group handles Macs and Apple, does not do them justice. In the UK at least, if the Dixons group got a little more into Apple they could really help them with the switching schemes, as most people do go to these places to learn and buy their computers. The Mac mini should be advertised through the roof here I feel.

They are also very out of date with the iPods. I visited a Dixons store yesterday and they were still selling the 1G shuffle at the original £99 price mark, and the minis were still the old price for the old 4G models. (I've noticed a lot of UK high street retailers have done this aswell and do not reflect changes in price very quickly, if not at all. Argos however were selling 4G minis for £110 the other week, so improvement there!)

Maybe Apple can approach Dixons etc and knock some sense into them. :p