UK: Petrol's not *that* expensive

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Nermal, May 11, 2006.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

We have a new guy at work, he's come over from England (Essex to be specific, although he worked in London) and today he told us that petrol was around £5/litre over there. We simply could not believe that, because it's nearly 10 times what we pay here, so after he'd gone I looked around on a few websites and found it hovering around £0.90-£1.20.

Does anyone have any idea where he got that £5 figure from? :confused:

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

A fiver a gallon maybe?

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Ah, that'd explain it, although I'm surprised he didn't pick that up after we stared in disbelief. On the other hand, he's amazed at how cheap everything is here.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Why would an Englishman use "gallon"??

I think he might be a secret agent - neither the UK nor NZ uses "gallon" as a unit of measurement.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

He wants to be an American. ;) :) :cool:

6. bartelby macrumors Core

We used to use gallons until some time in the 80s, I think, then someone in the EU told us we weren't allowed to use them anymore.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Some young English people still use the Imperial measurements as a bolster for their Englishness. Purely a reaction against the EU. All it means is that nobody under the age of 35 has a clue what they are talking about.

I couldn't even tell you with any certainty how many ounces in a pound, how many pounds in a stone, or what the Fahrenheit scale numbers mean. It's as pointless an exercise as pricing things like "one pound seven and sixpence".

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

16. 16 again (I think. We don't use stone over here). Water freezes/ice melts at 32, water boils at 212, normal body temp is around 98.7-ish. And I have no ****ing clue.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

10. Queso macrumors G4

You see how confusing it is? And that's not even adding in the stuff I do know like 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 22 yards in a chain, 80 chains in a mile, and 3 miiles in a league :confused: :confused:

Totally ridiculous numbering system. Much better just basing everything on units of 10. Why the UKIP types justify holding onto that nonsense for the sake of nostalgia is beyond belief.

11. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Some people are just resistant to change - some people in Ireland still talk about punts (Irish currency before the Euro) and some even talk about pounds (Irish currency before independence - 1922!!!)

And most English speaking countries seem to measure fuel efficiency in cars in miles per gallon (except Americans who measure in gallons per mile ;) :) )

And don't get me started about acres roods and perches (bane of my f***ing life)

12. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This guy can't be any older than 30.

13. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

One thing I've always wondered; how many yards in a mile?

The metric system totally kicks ass.

14. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

1760 according to Dashboard :)

15. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i use both, and i think both have their place.

sometimes imperial works better, "i'm 6foot 1 tall", sounds a lot easier than "I'm 182.8cm tall" for example

but yeah, the guy meant gallons (UK Imperial, US gallons are smaller)

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    There are 220 yards in a furlong and 8 furlongs in a mile. 1760.

Thats the only reason I remember.

17. bgd macrumors regular

Cheap if you're using sterling, ask him in 6 months when he's used to the prices and earning dollars. He may not think prices are quote so low.

18. Timepass macrumors 65816

well the US standard system works well in the way that most people in the US knows how long or how much each of the basic units are.

Out side of that I really dont like the US standard. It is great for estimation things just because I know pretty close to how long or how much each of the basic units are (inch, foot, mile, cup, gallon and lb) But when it comes to to appling math to them and I have to change units I start really hating the US standard.
    it ot bad enough when I have to just convert basic lenths from one unit to another but when it starts getting to area volume and things like that(which will be in^3 to Ft^3 or something like that) it is another story completely. A lot easier to make stupid error. The one i have the most trouble with is when I am in ft^4 and need to convert to in^4. Always make a stupid mistake there every time. An ME or CE major should understand why I would be spending time in in^4 or ft^4 those cals are just annoying to begin with and when you put in any unit changes of any type they start getting really messy.

19. mpw Guest

11" to a foot here! A 12" foot is refered to as a Royal Foot.

20. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Comes from when bakers were fined heavily for selling underweight "dozens" of bread. It was cheaper to throw in a 13th bread roll than to risk a fine. Hence the "baker's dozen."

22. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Still, you DO have cheap petrol… Today I payed 11.45 Norwegian Kroners (US$ 1.87) pr. litre – that´s $7.0 pr. US Gallon.

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So getting a wooden ruler to the bum in school in Jersey would just be a "Pain in the A*se" but getting six of the best with a 12" ruler would be a "Royal Pain in the A*se?"

24. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

The Queen has big feet?