UK pioneers digital film network

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Feb 26, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Full article.

Well I never! We don't even have HDTV, and won't do for a while yet, so I'm pretty shocked by this. But it's cool anyway :D :cool:

Couple interesting points from the article:
    • Each film is 100GB, compressed down from 1TB :eek:
    • Resolution is 2048 * 1080 :cool:

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It will be a way for those that can't afford HDTV, to actually get to se this. Here in the US we are supposed to officialy be using HDTV in 2007.

Will you be connected with this venture in anyway edesignuk. ;)

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I hAad wondered about this once before. It seems so much easier (and better quality) to just use portable hard drives instead of film reels. Hopefully something like this will come to Canada soon. I have HD TV's but no HD cable or other input :(. So I have never seen reel HDTV before.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Your not required to be using HDTV but broadcasters have to be fully digital by late 2006, DTV and HDTV are close but different.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Looks good. No more scratches or audio-drop outs from old play reels. No more having to wait in line at a premiere for a pristine copy of a film.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But will the colors look as good as film, usually digital film doesn't look as good as true film stock.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The quality of what they are using will not match projected film.

The reason digital project hasn't gotten very far (at least in the US) is, currently, the equipment is significantly more expensive than film projectors and will have a much shorter life span. Especially sense HD technology is still teething and hasn't reached a true equality w/film... yet. In 10 years I could see cheaper, better, more mature digital acquisition and projection really making its move. Right now there is little motivation for movie theaters to go digital because it's the distributors, not the theaters, that will see the cost savings of moving to digital.

Lethal

8. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I went to see the Incredibles at the filmworks here in Manchester in Digital and the picture was amazing, the screens are about 3x bigger than the standard cinema screen size and slightly curved inwards so i have no problem seeing a digital projection over a film one.

9. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Good News for Independent and World Cinema

This is excellent news. Cinemas outside of London and other major cities rarely show anything other than current Hollywood films. We have three cinemas in the local area, and their programming is nearly always the same. With any luck, we'll start to see some variation before too long.

10. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Can't wait to p2p those for my home use...

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ooo interesting i wonder when it becomes mainstream