UK Police Release Guantanamo Four

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Brize, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Link

I'm glad to see that these guys have finally been released, but it makes me extremely angry that they were detained in appalling conditions for so long. Why is it that the US authorities could not establish in three years what the UK authorities have managed to establish in 24 hours? I have no doubt that the UK government would have continued to detain these men if there was even a shred of evidence that they were involved in terrorist activity.

I'm angrier still that the UK government continues to support the US in the 'war on terror,' given the flagrant disregard of human rights exhibited by the Bush administration. By releasing these men so quickly and without charge, there's clearly a tacit acknowledgement by the UK authorities that the US is in violation of international law. Whatever your politics, and whatever your view on the 'war on terror,' it is surely unacceptable that the Guantánamo Bay prisoners have been detained for so long without charge or trial.

For those interested, more information can be found here.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

without defending the bush adminstration's abhorrent detention policies, i suspect the UK gov't had already done its research before releasing the men. i.e. it did take them longer than 24 hours to do that work.

but i agree that the US is not even bothering w/ due process in anything resembling a reasonable timeframe.

3. Brize thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brize

Yep, that's a fair point. As you infer though, I'm sure it didn't take the UK authorities anywhere near three years to establish their innocence.