Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 1, 2003.
MacWorld.co.uk reports that according to UK resellers... the PowerBooks are in "short supply"
Page2'd cause of uncertain significance.
I wouldn't dare saying it....
But i am in the market for a new 15"
<austin powes style>
YEAH BABY, YEAH!!
</austin power style>
Or as Freud said, sometimes a sigar is just a sigar and in short supply means just in short supply....
Significant? No. I think we have had too many of these rumors regarding new discounts or low stock to hold a drop of significane in any powerbook rumor anymore.
That said, I still love page 2.
I was at th Apple store in Edina, MN last night and asked about the 15"PB stock (I am giving in and getting one tonight) and he said "I have more of them than I know what to do with" So apperentley this is not the case on this side of the pond.
With all the antisipation of the new 15", I'm sure the current models are not selling well. The store probabely has 10 in stock and when the new models roll out on Tuesday they won't know what to do with the old ones. I'm sure that's what they mean
The interesting part of the article was the link to the O'Grady page. It listed some details which indicates that the 15" PB's are getting closer to being reallity.
Been watching PB stock here...
FYI... PB retailers supply of the 12 inch and 15 inch PB has been dropping for the past few weeks. Source is PowerBookCentral.
7/14/03 - 7 out of stock of 15 / 2 out of stock of 12 ( apple store ) with 5-7 date wait on 12 and 1-3 on high end 15
7/21/03 7 out of stock of 15 / 3 out of stock of 12. Same waits at apple store
7/22/03 - Apple store 3-5 days. Gravis out of stock of 15 in Germany. Japan store may have pulled PB
7/23/03 - 5 out of stock of 15 / 6 out of stock of 12
As of 7/28/03 there were 11 ( curiously the 12 inch seems to be going out of stock at a higher rate than the 15 ) - 7 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model.
As of 7/29/03 there were 14 out of stock bullets associated with the 12 inch and 15 inch. 8 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model. Many retailers are out of stock of multiple models.
7/30/03 - 15 out-of stock bullets and both 15 inchers at 1-3 day delivery. 9 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model. Many retailers are out of stock of multiple models.
7/31/03 - 17 out-of stock bullets and both 15 inchers at 1-3 day delivery. 9 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model. Many retailers are out of stock of multiple models.
8/1/03 - 15 inch goes to 5-7 day wait at the Apple store. 19 "out-of-stock bullets.
so if you ordered a 15" PB from the APPLE STORE right now, would you receive an Aluminum or TiPB?
For the past few days I've been waiting to buy a 15" for college next year. I created an order on the Apple Educational Store, just to see the Estimated Shipping time for the 15 (I know I want a 15, and having an updated, possibly Al Powerbook, is better than the price of them at this point).
Yesterday the estimated shipping time was 1-3 business days.
When I woke up this morning and checked it, the estimated shipping time changed to 5-7 business days.
I was about to buy the PowerBook tonight, but it looks like I'll wait until ANOTHER Tuesday comes and goes. Hopefully this one will have Powerbooks in store.
I'm waiting too... what's magic about tuesdays?
Apple's known to release new products and updates on Tuesdays, with a few exceptions.
It's the "sweet spot" day to release new products on.
Monday is overshadowed by everyone going back to work after the weekened, catching up, etc...
Tuesday: everyone is settled in more or less, and it releasing on tuesday ensures the maximum number of days untill the weekend for press coverage.
Everything past tuesday eats into press time.
Err.. sorry for bad grammar.. Just owke up.
Echoing some of what people have said earlier, I put my name down on a list for backordered PowerBook 15"'s at my student store on Monday. At that time, they told me the wait would be around 5-10 days.
This morning, I got a call from the store saying that the PB's were backordered for an additional two weeks. I don't wanna get my hopes up, but maybe there's an update? Maybe? Just maybe?
But then again, would Apple just give out free updates? It would make more business sense to give me an old TiBook right before the update, leaving me kicking myself for not waiting just one more week. I mean, why would they just give me an update when I'm apparently more than willing to throw down $2K for an older product. Apple's a great company but no company's that nice.
Pinch of salt...
Apple store UK has 15" PB's build time at "same day"
However, my local reseller, and close friend, has been telling me for a couple of weeks that the 2 UK distributor companies that Apple uses stopped receiving PB's about 2 weeks ago and are expecting updates 'soon'. Take it as you will.
nah, that's not why Tuesdays are the day. It's because inventory calculations are submitted to apple from retail stores on monday. So usually, if there are still a great number of older generation products in stock, the release gets pushed back a week to clear inventory.
I won't argue with you if you have some concrete knowledge about this, but I think that freundt's reasoning makes more sense. And it also makes more sense when you think abou the fact that new DVD's and CD's are also released on Tuesdays. For this stuff, there is no inventory to clear--it's brand new.
But if you say so...
Tuesday is the sweet spot in terms of Product Readiness and Response as well...
I mean, if it were a monday, the Product Readiness team would have to work over the weekend (more than they do already).
If it were on a Friday, or worse, Saturday, the Response team would have little time to work on any unforseen problems that popped up. And they'd have to work weekends.
To give Response plenty of time to put fires out, yet give Readiness time to get ready... Tuesday is the sweet spot.
There are a *lot* more factors than you realize that go into the decision of when to announce, when to ship...
The root cause of this is that, in a freak distribution mishap, all of the UK 15" PowerBooks were shipped to Edina, MN!
LOL......yeah....but it's not only in the UK. Check the 15" Stock at the most important U.S. reselers. The Apple store has no 15" and 12" left in stock....NONE...NADA...ZIPO!!! And only few have any left.
15's moved to the back of the bus
I was at my local Apple store the other day, in Chandler AZ.
They had moved all the 15's from the front of the room to the back half, leaving the 12, and 17.
When I asked whats going on, an employee said "oh, nothings wrong with the 15" repeated it several times, and made a funny face...
Daren't get my hopes up BUT after 6 months of waiting for a 15" THIS is the most mouth watering thread I've yet read.
But then I remember all the current deals end after the potential Stevenote in Paris.
Apple playing with us again....?
Is Apple playing with us again?
Its too early to tell now, but how much do you think new 12", 15", and 17" would cost? Will the new 12" be 1799 again? If so, why not get the 15" now instead?
I could get the higher-end 15" for $2300 right now and a 15GB for only $169 with my student discount, but I'm waiting anyway...