UK Press reaction to Sony delay

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Sep 7, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1) "All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put this disastrous mess of broken egg back together again" -Rob Fahey, EuroGamer

2) "In a few years' time, this might look like the beginning of the end ... unless they can come up with something remarkable to stop the rot." -Bobbie Johnson, Guardian Unlimited

3) "This is pretty disappointing news for PlayStation fans as well as for retailers, who have been gearing up for this launch for some time now." -British retailer HMV, quoted in a Scotsman.com article

4) "We were never anticipating a substantial amount of PS3 in 2006. We expect to see some mitigation of profit impact with a strong line-up of other products now in free supply." -Sources close to British retailer Game, quoted in a Times Online article

5) "Sony Europe said when they first announced the PS3 simultaneous world wide launch 'This is an exciting first for Europe, and is a huge endorsement and vote of confidence in the strength of the European market and its importance globally,' so with them now going back on this promise we can assume that they assume Europe to be 3rd rate, behind Japan & USA" -UK Technology blog Tech's Message

6) "Sony have got a lot to lose from having the PS3 delayed: not just poor figures for 2006, but also a loss in market share as parents buy their kids XBoxes for Christmas, and a boost for HD-DVD which looks set to get to market far quicker than its arch-rival." -UK blogger Chris Doidge

7) "The previously announced PlayStation 3 shipment forecast of 6 million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 is not changed, suggesting that Sony wasn't expecting to sell any units in the PAL territories." -UK tech site Pocket Lint

8) "Can anyone else hear a lone church bell clanging mournfully in the background...?" -Yahoo Video Games UK

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea I heard about this. They've been absolutely brutal. and rightly so. Global launch = North America and Japan my arse.

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Good point about HD-DVD gaining out of this.

Blu-Ray might suffer significantly out of this in quite a large market.

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Omg. Where did you get that!? That's hilarious! :D

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

http://www.thisiswaiting.com/
    My favorite of those is still
    [​IMG]

6. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

While I don't mean to back Sony in any way for lying about the worldwide launch, the UK is 3rd...

http://www.euromonitor.com/UK_Europes_leading_video_game_market

Its merely a business decision.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh yea, it's always about money. but really now they're still calling this a global launch. It's that they promised and then went back on it.
    I'd hate to say it but they should have taken a leaf out of Nintendo's book. If Nintendo now said "we've delayed Europe", nobody would care as a release date hasn't been given for their Wii system.

8. LionsKiss macrumors member

The UK alone is 3rd, Europe on whole is NOT. Japan is the 3rd market. When comparing N. America/Japan/Europe.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's not just Europe though. It's PAL. IIRC Australia are included too.

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ireland has per capita the highest ownership of playstation 2 consoles outside of japan... so there :p

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But do they respect that? no! Hell they don't even respect their biggest concentration of Sony consoles! 100k units for Japan?

12. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

Why not launch in Japan and Pal (Europe) and ditch the usa? they can get more money per console by selling in the uk/europe and thus make more profit with the consoles they have.

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that's what I dont understand. Why not 250,000 each? why 400,000 & 100,000 such an odd division ???:confused:

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

In case you hadn't noticed (you and someone else I know), there is more to Europe than the UK, and there is more to the PAL territories than Europe

15. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

i might be wrong here but dosnt japan use PAL aswell, i mean they are the same DVD region in japan

16. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Because the NTSC market (North America) is bigger than PAL.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I can see my Grand mother house from there....oh how I miss Itlay...oh back on topic...yeah *taps sony on wrist* bad boys!

Bless

18. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

No, they're NTSC. I guess it's because the US wanted to be separate for some reason

NTSC isn't just the US. And because the American market isn't bigger than Europe

19. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If you noticed, I said North America, not the US. ;)

Perhaps not in terms of population, but in terms of gaming, yes, we are.

20. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

You can blame the differences in video standards on electricity.

American and Japanese electricity runs at 120 volts at 60 hertz. Everywhere else it runs at 220 volts at 50 hertz. With early TV technology it was simple to have the refresh rate match the AC power frequency. Plus there weren't any worldwide groups determining standards. It was more on the government level.

21. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

FYI, I wasn't talking about Europe as a whole, I was talking about the UK. This thread is about the UK press reaction, not Europe... The UK :)

22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The decision, (and thus real discussion) is about the entire of the PAL territories.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hot puddings! I had no idea PAL was so widespread

[​IMG]
    *yellow= PAL
    lordy!

24. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Also, just so you know, SECAM and PAL are pretty much the same except the color encoding is different. You can watch SECAM on PAL tvs and vice versa; the only problem is that it'll be in B&W.

Oh and the NTSC in Japan is a little different. It's known as NTSC-J and their NTSC has a little more black detail.