UK PS3: Launch March 23, £425

Discussion in 'Games' started by BoyBach, Jan 22, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The UK release date and price of the PS3 has been leaked to Edge magazine.

- Edge Online

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Anyone remember how much the Saturn launched in the UK for?

:rolleyes:

I Love Sony.

But i have never been swayed by the Playstation brand and £425 is a hell of a lot of money, it may be worth that but you don't buy a Supercar to drive to the shops.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As long as it launches with some better games than the Japanese & USA launch.

OK... Updated UK launch list of games.

Games in bold are format exclusives.
    Blue is UT2007 but I dont believe it will make lauch

March 07,2007 NHL 2K7 [UK] Take-Two Interactive Sports
    March 16,2007 Resistance: Fall of Man [UK] Sony Computer Entertainment Shooter
    March 21,2007 Fatal Inertia [UK] KOEI Racing Action
    March 30,2007 Unreal Tournament 2007 [UK] Midway Games Shooter
    March 30,2007 John Woo Presents Stranglehold [UK] Midway Games Action Adventure
    March 30,2007 Need for Speed Carbon [UK] Electronic Arts Racing
    March 30,2007 Genji: Days of the Blade [UK] Sony Computer Entertainment Action
    March 30,2007 Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII [UK] Ubisoft Flight
    March 30,2007 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance [UK] Activision Action RPG
    March 30,2007 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas [UK] Ubisoft Shooter
    March 30,2007 Call of Duty 3 [UK] Ubisoft Shooter
    March 30,2007 Tony Hawks : Project 8 [UK] Activision
    March 30,2007 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom [UK] Electronic Arts Action RPG
    March 30,2007 World Snooker Championship 2007 [UK] SEGA Sports
    March 30,2007 GripShift [UK] Sony Online Entertainment Racing Action
    March 30,2007 MotorStorm [UK] Sony Computer Entertainment Racing
    March 31,2007 Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway [UK] Ubisoft Shooter
    March 31,2007 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The [UK] Ubisoft RPG
    March 31,2007 Formula One Championship Edition [UK] Sony Computer Entertainment Racing

Motorstorm & Resistance are the only ones I want. I have alot of the others on 360 anyway.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Finally. a PS3 game I want - UT. though... haha... I've never actually like playing the games I somehow always get excited about them pre-launch.

You know I couldn't actually give a damn about any of the exclusive games on that list :eek: I've heard terrible things about all them barring R:FoM, which I hear is nothing special as far as FPS games go.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

UT - it's NOT a PS3 exclusive though. It's a 360 game too, and given Epic's success, in bed love & experience of the 360 dev kit, I'm betting the 360 will be the leading format console wise.

Also if there's no other game on that list Jimmi. What the hell are you thinking about spending £425 + £50 each game on ?

7. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

425???madness

£425:eek: it is an absolute rip off. I wouldnt pay that for a console no matter how good it is! Sony are going to price themselves out of the console market with this one almost! I mean how many kids that want to have one are going to have £425?? They'll have to start saving now!

8. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

is the £425 for which model? (sorry i can't access the edge website - access blocked from work)

9. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

It's got to be the top end model. But even then, you still need to by a HDMI cable and games right? So potentially you're looking at whacking down £500 if you want to play something that day? Madness.

I know I can afford it. I have no dependants so a fair wedge of "free" cash each month. But I couldn't justify this. The I thought about the main market for the PS series of console - kids, in the main. If I was a parent, there was no way in hell that I would be getting my 12 year old a £425 birthday present. Sure, there will be truly minted parents for whom this isn't an issue, and little Quentin gets whatever he wants, but what sort of message would this send to Jo Publics kids if he got them a £425 present? "It's open season kids, I'll get you whatever you want!". As a Christmas present for multiple kids it's barely acceptable.

I think Sony have really lost their minds with this. But then again, they do say they are aiming for a different market... but surely this market will relieve them of a lot of custom.

I may still get a PS3 as a blu-ray player. But only when its sub-£300.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

on ut 2007:
    they said last year that it will come out on the PC first and a few months later on the ps3 (falling into end of year or even 2008) so i would be kinda surprised when they now turn around and release it early

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that release date is wrong. It's only flagging up on ps3 europe, not for other territories or formats. So it has to be wrong.

12. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

The price is insane, however the cost of producing one machine is even more insane and Sony are already losing money on each PS3 they sell.

Sony set their own high standards by the PS1 and PS2, therefore what goes inside the PS3 has to be as bleeding edge as they can make it (plus this is Sony we're talking about). If you removed the Blu-ray drive and put in a standard DVD drive like the 360 has, then the price would be down to around £375, which is much more competitive. But then the PS3 wouldn't as different to other launch consoles as Sony would like. And I wouldn't want to buy any PS3 console that didn't have a step up over DVD.

I can't commend the price Sony have placed on their console, and UK users are leeched by all console manufacturers, but you have to be realistic over the silly amount of money Sony loses per console. Figures are out their on the web, just do a google search for it.

13. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Oh that I understand, they are there to make money after all, its just that I don't give a damn about their profit margins. It's a poor price point which I don't happen to like, or want to spend that volume of cash on. I doubt the average consumer is going to pony up £425 because "well it cost Sony a lot to make, so it's only fair I give then a lot of my readies". It just doesn't work like that.

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The model - we only get the 60gb

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's not going to sell well at all.

Funny too. It's a little stereotyped but the only people I know playing PS2s past the Xbox 1 were chavs. Actually in the broader picture - the chavs had the PS2, the rap-liking guys had Xboxs and the creatives had a Gamecube. Course this was only at college amongst 60 or so people so it's hardly the world.
    anyways! to the point - I never saw a videophile or anyone the PS3 is aimed at buying a PS2. They had PowerMacs or high end PC's. I honestly cannot see who the PS3 is aimed at and can already imagine a super like warm launch, the kind you'd tell a friend and say "what, really? it's out now?".

Everyone already has a Wii or 360 round my way. Theres just no demand for another machine, especially with the low HDTV population making that whole BR drive moot.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^True.

What irks me more is the fact they are not releasing the 20gb model in the UK or Ireland (at least they claim not at launch anyway)

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

An even gorilla for the PS3 here in Aus.

Well, PS3 is a flat-out A$1000 here.

That's US$785.

Poor Kiwis have to pay NZ$1200.

That's a boatload of cash for a gaming console, the Blu-Ray player doesn't mean much down here because we couldn't give a stuff about HDTV whilst it's all so expensive.

18. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I bet you 10 whole English pounds it doesn't come out on March the 23rd.

Price is right tho. ;)

19. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

that pricepoint is just silly.. and NZ price just sucks!!

not many decent BD movies out (yet) anyway..

sony just lost out bigtime on their next gen console (my opinion)..

time will tell..

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My opinion too. It's like Nintendo are expanding their market, Microsoft to a certain degree too, and Sony are shrinking theirs. In Europe this machine is not going to do well :( £425? Jeez. The cheapest 360 you can buy is £199 or £179 for the Wii. Sorry.

21. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i also read somewhere yesterday that they (sony) won't be cutting the prices of ps3 just like they did with ps1/ps2!!

ok, it's got a BD player.. so what? if that's the main reason why it's so expensive, make a unit without the BD player (if that's possible) - or does it rely on this cos the games are BD?

22. Faye macrumors member

I had a PS2 preordered for launch, so I guess I might be target market.
    I have an HDTV.. I have the income to be able to afford one at this price.

I don't want one.

It has the pretty graphics, but nothing new... Bluray is just a betamax waiting to happen.

I have a wii. The graphics aren't next-gen that but they're good enough and the games are just different and fun to play. Oh and it's a lot easier to justify blowing 180 than 425. Two people brought their consoles into work after xmas, one a wii.. one a ps3 (he'd been to HK). Everyone who saw the wii wanted one. The same is almost universally untrue for the PS3.

I also have an XBox HDDVD drive hooked up to my Mac Mini 1.83 to watch HDDVD movies in windows. Works great over VGA in full res on a 24" panel and again the 130 price point to watch hidef movies was easily justifiable. (no it doesn't yet work with all the movies out there, nor does it work on DVI/HDMI so I can't have it hooked to my plasma)

I'm definitely an early adopter, but PS3 just doesn't make me go "Oooh I want one" so Sony would have to have put it at a very tempting price to make me consider it. This isn't a tempting price, or a tempting console.