UK Retailer Offering TomTom Car Kit for Pre-Order

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 5, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

NaviGadget reports based on several other European sites that UK retailer Handtec is listing the TomTom GPS car mount kit for pre-order at a price of £99 plus tax. While Handtec's product page seems to claim that that the TomTom iPhone application is included in the price, it remains to be seen how the software will be accessed from the App Store after purchase.
    MacRumors first received word of this listing on Handtec's site nearly a month ago, but to this point no other retailers appear to have offered up information on the much-anticipated TomTom iPhone solution to confirm or refute Handtec's pricing.

Article Link: UK Retailer Offering TomTom Car Kit for Pre-Order

2. macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

That $193 rumored price is going to make me think twice about replacing my aging Garmin Unit :eek:

Cheers.

-J.-

3. macrumors member

good news ?? yes? I am certainly not sure if i am fond of a approx 200+ cost (after taxes etc) everything in... it seems a little hight for the size of the "GPS" in comparison with stand alone options..

I am still waiting to hear "official" word from TomTom before i say NO i will not buy it... hopefully they have a few extras' to make this price worth it (Free map updates / Traffic info)

Off topic:

There is another device by Kensington that makes the same claim that you can get a app for free of the store with the purchase of a device

Kensington Nightstand Dock

on inspection their APP is free for everyone though.. so who knows what process TomTom will use to get the app to you at no cost. (itunes Gift card???)

side note the kensington app is kinda cool dont know if i would want the backlight on constantly tho.. with the brightness control allowing you swipe across the screen

4. Eso
    macrumors 68000

Eso

The car mount could easily come with a promo code for use with the app store.

5. macrumors 68020

Diode

Yea but anyone can download the Kensington App for free ...

6. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

They can only have so many (50?) promo codes, unless apple is teaming up with them specially.

7. macrumors 6502

Blue Fox

That's exactly what I was thinking. Other apps have been doing this for a while now.

8. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

don't these things plug directly into your iPhone?

Maybe the interface they plug in through will cause it to download the app free of charge?

9. macrumors 6502

Blue Fox

Not really a promo code, more of a redeeming code. Kind of like how you enter in your iTunes cards codes into iTunes, they'll just code a card specifically for TomTom to redeem the App.

10. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I guess I should have picked up that banged-up Garmin Unit for $10 at the local flea market.....:eek:

11. macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

If this app / car kit costs more than $120, I will pick up a refurbished TomTom 720 instead.

12. macrumors member

A mount worth that much is going to be a target for thieves, making you carry that around as well, making the all-in-one objective of an iPhone GPS fail badly. I guess I'll take another look at Navigon or maybe just buy the app and a cheap 20 dollar mount.

13. macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

A great price! £115 is a good price for a Tom Tom (a decent one I mean).

14. macrumors 601

macduke

Only if TomTom expects to sell less than 50 units with the app store limitation of 50 codes per developer (and at $200, that's probably all they WILL sell).

15. macrumors member

i updated my post

16. macrumors 65816

The problem is, in my experience, the GPS chip in the iPhone 3G S is so cr@ppy, that it is borderline unusable for navigation.

On Navigon, it will sometimes lose GPS signal on an open freeway, with clear skies. By the time it regains signal, you've missed your turn... Never had this problem with my old HTC WM6.1 phone.

So, if someone is planning to use the iPhone as a regular navigation device, they'll probably find the TT cradle very valuable.

17. macrumors 6502

18. macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

Its not $193. That price is including VAT (England Sales Tax) the US price would equal $160 + TAX (about $188 in New York after tax)

19. Guest

iGary

$200?

Up yours™, TomTom.

20. macrumors 603

Not that really, becuase you're still paying for map updates annually.

21. macrumors regular

Totally agree. Plus earlier post about it being attractive to thieves is the same as anything else in your car (gps, whatever).

22. macrumors regular

Oh, and COME ON TOMTOM! Get it out or give an update or something. I'm on an airplane in 10 days and want my TomTom app and dock along with me!

23. macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Still waiting for it to be official... as it says it's TBC

24. macrumors 65816

In other news, "Webster's Dictionary" has changed it's definition of rip off to read "TomTom"

Ridiculous

25. macrumors 6502

Blue Fox

If I remember correctly, the 50-code limitation was for "promo codes", I'm sure there's another way to get a "redemption code" for Apps....especially for companies releasing specific iPhone Accessories