UK: Scary trains, where else???

Discussion in 'Community' started by spacepower7, Feb 11, 2005.

1. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4247721.stm

WOW

Satellite navigation has been an option in cars in the US for years. Same with personal portable GPS systems.

Is their another navagation system in UK trains besides radios?

If I can get GPS for my cell phone or Palm Pilot or Pocket PC or Mac Powerbook, why don't your trains have it yet? I know the EU is talking about setting up their own GPS system, but why not use the available ones now? The EU version won't (officially) come online till 2008, at least as planned.

When I was in the UK and the rest of Europe, I assumed that the rail companies had alot of technologies.

Now I'd feel less safe with train travel in Europe. (Although i never felt that safe in Eastern Europe)

I don't even know if GPS is on trains in the US, but here most of us drive or fly. I just assumed that it was in use everywhere, but it may not even be used here. Most trains here are in the Northeast, NYC, Boston, Philly etc..

Correct me if I am wrong, please. I'd like to know

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

adds to the surprise lol you never no when they will turn up if at all lol

i went to london the other week , took me over 4 hours by train (well 2 hours on a coach as well as trains was not running part of the track) PRICELESS :(

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    We've had GPS in cars for years too - it's particularly prevalent on the Continent.

I can see the point of having it on trains so it can be monitored like Air Traffic Control.

I'm not so sure about the necessity of having it in the drivers' cabs. After all, it's not like they can nip down a side-street to avoid a traffic jam!

4. Stevie_nottm macrumors newbie

ROTFL...

I went from LHR to JFK in less than that!!!!

At least we can do air travel good though.... thank heavens!

5. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Like the article said, GPS could not be used in any safety critical role, not dont feel like safety would be improve with GPS.

The train controllers in EU (inc UK, in theory) know where their trains are, they've got to to operate the signals! Rail travel is still the most safest form of travel on land (statistically).