UK Shipping question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nat3503, Aug 26, 2005.

1. nat3503 macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2005
    I bought an iBook, iSight and iPod on Monday from Apple over the phone. I got a higher education discount.
    On the order status page, it said that it shipped yesterday. The guy on the phone said it would probably ship on Friday and that it could possibly get to mine by Friday but it would probably be Monday.
    I have a few questions: (I live in the UK, by the way)
    Does anyone know:
    -how long I should expect to wait until I get the iBook?
    -if I can check where abouts the iBook is? From these forums I've read that Americans are able to check the state that it's in etc, but all I got from Apple was a reference number to check the order status page. They said they'd send me an e-mail once it's shipped but I haven't got it yet.
    -if they deliver on a Saturday, and whether they'd deliver it on Monday as it's a bank holiday and we don't usually get post?

Thanks very much!
  2. XIII macrumors 68040

Aug 15, 2004
    I would guess that they WILL deliver on a saturday, but really it depends who apple ship it with. Call them up and ask for a tracking number if you really wanna know where it is. :) Welcome to MR.
  3. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    Apple use TNT in the UK. They will not deleiver on a Saturday, weekdays only. You can track your shipment with the number they provide at shipping. This will either have been sent via email or if you ordered online they will have given you a order reference which you can type in and use your apple store user name (email address) and password to check the status and get a tracking number that way.

Once you have the tracking number (12 or 16 digits I think) go to google and search TNT Ireland. From this site you can track. The tracking numbers are specific to each TNT country site so if you went to say TNT Holland it might say not found. If the TNT page says number not found don't panic it simply might not have been logged by them yet. TNT do the logging at the depot not apple when they ship it.

As for the person saying you'd get it that fast I'd be doubtful. I've ordered all my macs directly from them and although most have usually arrived faster then the 6-10 days they quote expect to wait at least 4. Nothing happens shipping wise on a Sunday and it all depends where it is coming from. My BTO Powerbook shipped from Shanghai (I think, somewhere far east anyway) and for a few days the location didn't change, then the weekend came and by early Monday morning it had made the UK. Monday lunchtime it was in my hands. I would have thought holidays allowing you would have it by the back end of next week. I'll guess Thursday, assuming it did ship early today.
  4. Badradio macrumors 6502

Aug 19, 2004
    Friend of mine ordered an iBook the Monday before last and it was delivered to his Manchester address on the afternoon of the following Wednesday. Less than two days. So, weekend and Bank Holiday withstanding, I'd put my money on a Tuesday delivery. Enjoy the computer - the new iBooks are great machines.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    dude, it'll come, it'll even come faster the less you track the parcel. honest.
  6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    Really couldn't agree more. Don't track it, it'll only build up more excitement which could be disasterous if you get DOA!