UK Smart car has built in iPod dock.

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Apr 12, 2004.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

2. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

3. macka macrumors regular

Do you happen to know when it'll hit the shores of Australia? I'll start saving now. :D

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nice little cars - how much do they go for?

D

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They should be going on sale in North America, soon as the next generation Smart vehicle starts coming out of the South American factory.

Though they'll probably be sold in Mexico and Canada a year before they hit the US.

6. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

apparently they are going to start in the US with an SUV version of the new four door model... pretty sad.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

So what happens when the iPod gets revised & changes it's connections? :eek:

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

How about that, before too long cars will have a "standard" iPod dock. Now that would spell good news for Apple with making sure the iPod is an industry standard. You don't see car companies coming out with docks for the iRiver or the Napster or Dell Jukebox.

9. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

well the ipod actually comes with the car, it is branded with the smart logo on the back as well as apple's, but hopefully you will be able to buy a replacement dock for future versions.

10. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Mr. Anderson: The cars vary starting from around $8000 US to higher for the roadsters.
    Etoiles: While I am no fan of SUV's I am sure if Smart brings one out it will be plenty safe and eco-friendly which is just what the SUV category needs.

11. iGav macrumors G3

if you ever get chance to drive one in a city environment do... :) they have near slingshot levels of acceleration between 0-40MPH... :D serious fun ;) less so on the motorway at 70MPH though... :eek: :p

it's weird that they're not available in the States yet, it seems like they've been out here for donkeys' years... we've got loads of whacky mobiles in Europe that I'm sure alot of you guys Stateside would love given half the chance. :)

12. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

While I don't consider it whacky I am loving the new Scion xa my wife and I purchased to replace her old Altima.

13. iGav macrumors G3

the chunkyness reminds me of the Nissan Micra... :)

14. Apple //e macrumors 6502

smarts have been sold in mexico for at least three-four years now. they dont sell too well since people have some of the US "bigger is better mentality," though you do see more small cars here.

ive never seen an adult driving one. theyd catch too much flak

"do you get in that or do you put it on?"

15. Apple //e macrumors 6502

i think cars should come with usb ports to interface with various devices (mp3 players, gps, coffee warmers, etc)

16. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

That's very nice, and it would be a great feature to have in a car. I'm interested in how they will sell in the US when they come. Hybrids are becoming more and more popular, and the Smart Car will probably be a hit in big cities, where gas prices are raising each day.

17. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

...and parking is a nightmare (for example San Francisco).

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, small cars rock. At my school, parking is a complete nightmare to the point where you wedge your cars in between the parking spaces to fit in and I can only thank God I have a real small car that I can wedge into the most impossible of tight spaces so I don't get stuck driving around for an hour being a parking vulture hoping for the long shot of a chance that someone leaves after a class or to go surfing at some random time during the day.

19. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Just another reason I'll be buying one of these when they come to the U.S.

I'll likely be in the market for a car at the time, and this seems like the perfect thing. Small, cheap to buy and run, looks decent for the price, and has iPod support.

20. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Those cars are rude...

(I know NOW I'll get spammed...!)

They may be fun to drive, but I'll wager a decent M1A1 Abrams would give more joy value driving in Central London.

"...Oh, look dear - a slow Volvo driver...."

And they're just not practical. Nice hardware FINALLY being added, but if the Dock's the ONLY reason, well...

Bottom line: if it SOUNDS like a Duck, and it LOOKS like a Duck - well, there's no hiding the fact that it's still UGLY as sin.

Quack! Quack!

21. iGav macrumors G3

5 quid you'd still get clamped in Soho Square though... heheh :p

22. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

is that a car or a glorified golf cart? i would be scared to drive a fortwo. . . scared that a gust of wind would knock me infont of an 18 wheeler and i would be crushed in a matter of seconds.

the roadster looks a little better. but is still tiny!

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

and at the first stop at the gas-station for refueling the joy suddenly dissapears ;)

BTW: the smart is one of the safest "small" cars at the moment.. in crash tests it got better marks than middle class cars

24. Blackstealth macrumors regular

But they don't look safe when you see them on the motorway. I've been passed by one doing 80 or so (I was towing a trailer at the time, normally I wouldn't dare let a smart car pass me) and it looked decidedly unsafe. I'll stick to big cars with lots of crumple room (not that my Pug has crumple space but its replacement will).

25. iGav macrumors G3

oooh... you buying??