UK Telewest 10Mb Broadband much slower than expected...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arkitect, Oct 23, 2006.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, switched from Bulldog last week (that was another BD nightmare :( ) and joined the Telewest 10Mbps service.

Can't complain about the Telewest customer service. Installation guy was ontime and helpful. Same for their telephone support.

BUT! My connection speeds are not up to scratch — even the Telewest suport guys have confirmed I should be getting much higher speeds.

Averaging around 4.2 - 5Mbps (down) and 350Kbps (up) and this on a purported 10Mbps service.

The only thing they can suggest is swopping their supplied Motorola modem for a new one, which they will deliver Wednesday.

So I ask here in the hope that someone may have a suggestion or recommendation. FYI, I am also running the connection via a Netgear WGR624 router. But the "slow" speed remains the same whether the iMac G5 is connected directly or via the router. (The iBook G4 is showing the same range of speeds).
    All Macs running on 10.4.8.
    All comments and suggetsions will be greatly appreciated. :D

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Well, they usually suggest that it'll take about a week or so before speeds stabilise on your line, but if the Telewest tech people think your speeds are too low, there's probably some sort of problem.

Is your Motorola modem a USB modem? These are notoriously flakey on a Mac; an ethernet modem is definitely the way to go if you've not got one.

At any rate, I'm sure someone else will soon suggest some more substantial tests you can run.

3. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

How are you testing the speed?

Have you tried just downloading something from Microsoft or Apple and clocking the speed that way?

I was on NTL's 10Mb service up until recently. I found that web browsing and online speed tests suggested it was running slower that it should be, but when downloading I'd often get 1.2MB/s. However I did find connecting via a wireless router could throttle the performance. I switched down to their 4Mb service as I just wasn't seeing enough of a benefit paying extra for 10.

4. Zimmy macrumors member

That is really strange, when i was on telewest a few months ago the 10mb was always 10mb, never once hade a speed problem, oh except when my mate was using bit torrent. dam that thing really knows how to kill your bandwidth.

we had the moto surfboard modem too, no issues, try rebooting it, or contact telewest and tell them you have issues. they are usually pretty good.

hope you get your ful 10mb soon

ZIm

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Doesnt it depend on how far away you are from the main exchange? Im on the 4mb package and live in Sheffield. Telewest have one of, if not the main HQs here and my Speed is 3.9mb using speakeasy test.

I had a problem at work however with BullDog (who doesnt) it turned out that I was getting EXTREMELY slow, like 5kbs, on an 8mb line because the DNS Server names in the Network > ethernet > TCP/IP tab were in the wrong order. The mac was trying to access the net using the first in the list but was being denied so it kept trying over and over until it finally used the second in the list and was allowed access - albeit at 5kbs. I changed the order of the servers and now get 4mb. It should be 8mb but thats BullDog for you. *****!

Could you have a similar problem?

BTW: Telewest do have great customer service and are knowledgeable of how to navigate a Mac. Infact I was onto them last night as the net seemed to had slowed and I could not figure out why. Turns out they had just started some maintenance work in the area and hadnt updated the status page.

EDIT: I also have the Moto Surfboard. Looks crap but does its job really well. :)

6. arkitect thread starter macrumors 601

arkitect

Thanks for the help so far :)

It is the Ethernet modem. They only provide the USB ones to their Windows customers.

Just downloaded a file from Apple's website. Max 524KB/sec. Also tested it with ADSlguide.co.uk and quite a few others :p but no joy.

Just what I was thinking of doing. :mad: No reason to be paying extra for a non existent speed.

Yup. Been on to Telewest since last week (they have been very helpful if unable to actually "help" :p . They promise a new modem on Wednesday. I hope it is as simple as that. Just a malfunctioning modem.

Always live in hope I guess :D :D

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

8. arkitect thread starter macrumors 601

arkitect

I can sympathise with your Bulldog broadband problems! Truly awfull customer service (although I found their 8mb service quite speedy).

According to the Telewest guys I am near an area (Kingston) "hub" or whatever they called it and the cable quality is perfect. Their only solution so far is a replacement modem.

9. arkitect thread starter macrumors 601

arkitect

10. dcv macrumors G3

Yeah it depends on the distance from the exchange and other things... I think if you have too many extension sockets this may also affect it. I'm with Be and supposed to have up to 24MB broadband. I reality I get about 9.5MB and it seems really sluggish compared to my old 2MB Bulldog service :( Make sure your router is connected to the master socket.

11. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

He's on cable, not crappy ADSL ;) There's no "exchange" to worry about, although the quality/age of the cable to your house can have a big effect.

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The length of cable does affect the performance. The longer it is the more 'exchanges' or whatever you call em it has to run through. The more it runs through the greater chance of interference and slower performance. Also signals are not 'instant' so distance and time are also a factor.

13. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, I'm on the very basic Telewest package (3MB/S I think) and I find it just fine. Then again, all I do is basic surfing and the odd bit of downloading from iTunes - not exactly a power user. For all I know I could be gettng 52kb/s :rolleyes:

14. Dubba macrumors regular

I just moved from Bulldog, who sucj - not only do they have poor customer service, but their systems are terrible.

I have been with Sky for a week on the "up to 16MB" package, and I regularly get between 12Mbps - 13Mbps, which is excellent. However, the only problem is that you HAVE TO use the Sky Router (which is fine - it is a newer model of the previous NetGear that I owned)... but this has led to my wireless printer (an HP Photosmart 3310) not being able to print.

I have yet to call Sky, but does anyone have any insights on the problem?

Thanks,
    Dubba

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Im interested in the Sky deal. What do you mean you HAVE to use their router. I have Airport Express what about that? Also how is the setup? Is it an ethernet thing or what? If its USB I wont be going near it.

16. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

ahh.. i was about to ask if anyone was on the SKY 16MB package..
    I'm waiting for them to roll it out in our area.. and would then have a bit more bargaining power with NTL's 10MB I am currently on..

but forcing us to use Sky's router when my current setup is perfect is a bit much to ask isn't it?
    hmm..

17. HughJ macrumors regular

im not entirely sure thats correct, from the large green box at the end of the street fibre optic cabling is used until it reaches your garden (for instance) then shielded co-ax is used, its the same for everyone...so it could be maybe a machine/router set up issue?

18. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Similar problem here - 10mb Telewest, all connecting through a wireless router to it in my house. Six of us using it, but never all at the same time.

Maximum anyone can get is around 500kb/s download.

Only way to get full speed is to plug directly into the cable modem, which is not an option. So it is probably our router which is rubbish.

Try downloading one of these files, which are on the Telewest servers - http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames/worldofwarcraft/patches/win32/

Plugged straight into the modem, I can get 1.2mb/s from that site.

19. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Try using a download manager like Speed Download and see what speeds you hit.

20. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

i know you're not getting what you're paying for, but dsl in the US is way slower. i get like 1.8 MBPS tops. and i (my family) pays 15 bucks a month.

21. Dubba macrumors regular

Sky was very upfront and told me that in my area the maximum they could offer me was 13.8Mbps, which I am more than happy to pay £10 for.

My previous setup was perfectwell as (I had a slightly older Netgear ADSL Router) and the only problem has been getting my wireless printer to worker, but hopefully a call to them should rectify that.

22. Dubba macrumors regular

Sky supplies a Netgear DG834G (http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/h_wirelessrouter_dg834g.php) which they have branded (it says "Sky" on the front) and tweaked. This is an Ethernet ADSL Modem Router (54Mbps), and is plug and play - you actually do not have to do ANYTHING - no user names, passowrds, etc - just run the CD that comes with it and you will be up and running in 5 minutes flat.

The router has four fixed line points, and through the wireless I assume you can have as many connections as you want.

23. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

why do you have to run their software? you mean the router software? last thing i want is sky software all over the place.. ;) lol..

i'm still waiting for them to come into our area.. come on sky, hurry the eck up!! although they keep sending me junk mail about "we're working on it - coming soon" etc..

atm, i have a linksys wrt54g, which i really am pleased with.. had zero problems *touches head*..

Just means I will have to dump NTL phone line and get my BT line re-connected.. I don't even use my land-line anyway.. only need to have it for broadband!! seems as utter waste.. when will the HPDPA stuff roll out in mainstream so we can forget the line rental rubbish :)

24. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Get 1.2mb/s here as well, it starts the dl at that speed so I guess thats the max upload speed from them.

At http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp I get
    Downstream 9,433.5 Kbps ( = 9.2 Mbps )
    Upstream 356.9 Kbps ( = 0.3 Mbps )

but I'm 2 hops from their main trunk (or whatever) and have pings less than 10 on good euro servers. Might downgrade to 4mb actually as my Carracho days have long passed. Happy days.

25. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Fastest we can get here is 566 kbps, and that's at a push. We're supposed to be getting 2 mb, but no, BT doesn't want to give us a nice new exchange, so we have to stick with the one that hasn't been changed since friggin 1956 :mad: