UK Troops being held by Iranian Navy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mattscott306, Mar 23, 2007.

1. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Uh-oh, this can only end up bad.
    Link to article

Anyways, Looks like Iran is getting a little aggressive.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Cheeky bastards.

Good job they didn't swipe some yanks, just the excuse Bushy boy would be after :eek:

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

They'll be used briefly for propaganda purposes then returned... it's a retaliation for all the news recently about Iran allegedly training Iraqi dissidents and all of that.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Makes you wonder though. What did the Iranians think our boys were doing and why? Are we preparing something in that area that they wanted a closer look at, or was it just an over-zealous local commander being a little poetic with the boundary lines?

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

A real blow to their image as pious peace makers, that's for sure.:rolleyes:

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Since when was that their image?

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sarcasm, I think ;)

8. mattscott306 thread starter macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I was a little confsued at first too. :)

9. iGav macrumors G3

Let's hope they return the boat to us this time. Otherwise we're going to start running out at this rate. :p

10. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

. . . or America's for that matter.

11. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Oh we're peace makers....We'll make you peaceful or make you dead :cool:

12. mattscott306 thread starter macrumors 68040

mattscott306

There is no peace but in death. Isn't that a famous quote?

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

good god. if this is sufficient casus belli for bush, the timing couldn't be better to get Prosecutorgate off the front pages.

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This happened before with a few US sailors about a year ago. I'd be amazed if this didn't blow over in a couple days when they are returned.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

How did Rove get to the Iranians so quickly? :eek:

Probably just Haliburton employees dressed up as Iranians anyway. :cool:

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

:)

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Time

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Problem is, if Iran classifies these guys as "enemy combatants", theoretically they would have the right to torture them and detain them indefinitely at that point.

19. mattscott306 thread starter macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Technically they can't be considered enemy combatants as Iran hasn't declared war on the Brits. If Iran were to declare these soldiers as enemy combatants, then we'd be looking as some major problems. Technically they weren't doing anything to provoke war (the Soldiers) just checking ships going near Iraq, but who knows, with that crazy country.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Says you, right? I mean, what if Iran has a different take. Say they come out and say that they have proof that these people were terrorists intending harm to the Iranian state, but that we cannot see the proof because it is too secret and would divulge means and methods that would expose Iranian operatives to threat?

What leg would America or Britain have to object upon? This has always been the problem with our behavior so far in the GWOT - we open ourselves up to allowing our own soldiers to be treated the same way we treat our prisoners.

I'm in no way defending Iran here, I'm just pointing out the serious flaw in our own detention and torture policies.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True if our own govts can waterboard others why cant they do it to our troops? Bush & Cheney & Rove are idiots. draft dodging scumbags who arent worthy of leading our nation at all.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

or maybe the Iranians were deliberately trying to provoke a reaction? or perhaps just doing a bit of saber rattling of their own, figuring that the UK was less apt to react than the USA?

23. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Have we not learned anything?

Let me say right off the bat: I don't know the truth of the situation. And I'm therefore not making a judgment or claim one way or another.

It is entirely possible that the Iranians grabbed the Brits in Iraqi waters.

But it is also possible that the Iranians are telling the truth: they grabbed the Brits in Iranian waters.

Why should we believe the British Government claims? These guys are pathological liars. They lied the country into a war in Iraq, based on forged documents and made up evidence. Who is to say they aren't doing it again?

We know this much: there are many reports of U.S. special forces entering Iran surreptitiously to scout out military targets and gather intelligence. We know the U.S. has been building up naval forces off the coast of Iran. I think it is entirely possible that the Brits are helping them - perhaps by doing operations in Iranian territorial waters.

Lies, and more lies from the U.S. and British governments - that's what we had for the past 5 years in Iraq and Iran. By the way, the U.S. entered into the Vietnam War by manufacturing a supposed naval attack by the North Vietnamese (a lie - Tonkin resolution).

And the Western press has bought it every time (just as they bought the WMD lies and the Saddam+Al-Queda lies). So forgive me for not thinking this reporting is worth spit.

So, I'm not taking the Iranian's word for it. But I'm not taking the Brit's either. There is a long and storied and sordid tradition of lies with these war mongering scum.

I suspend judgment. I don't believe we are in a position to judge the facts or have reliable information on hand.

24. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

fer chrissakes, put it back in your pants.