UK TV Shows - What Would We Get?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by HelixOmnimedia, Mar 10, 2007.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hey,

With the impending release of the AppleTV and the tags found on the iTunes updates i thought I'd raise a few questions for UK users.

It's just occurred to me that the US and UK iTunes Store will have different TV Shows exclusive for that country.
    So on that note, what do you think we (the UK) will get before or only for UK customers?

I'm thinking some big deal with the BBC and ITV will be for sure to offer shows like:

- Dr Who Series 3 (and past series)
    - Torchwood Series 2
    - Primeval

These are the only three major shows i can see being added.

Maybe: some CITV and CBBC content for children
    Reality shows - possibly Big Brother or Castaway and Shipwrecked

Don't: see any soaps appearing like Eastender, Coronation Street, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks.

Any thoughts?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

What about Spooks and Hustle? Hotel Babylon maybe...Jonathan Creek...I could go on...

3. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

I forgot about those.
    I love Spooks, and Hotel Babylon is getting good (i missed the first series:( )

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I would love it if Skins was on there, and Balls Of Steel would be good too, as well as The Office (UK version) and Extras. Also, is there any chance Lost series 3 getting on there in the UK, cos i don't have Sky, so i have no other legal way of seeing it.

And in the films section i would really want Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan and Hot Fuzz to be there.

If all those were on there, i would buy every episode. My credit card (OK, my dad's credit card :p ) is ready.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's OK, and it's addictive, unfortunately all the characters are so soulless I just don't care about them. It'd be much better if they weren't.

6. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I wouldn't even go that easy. It has to be the worst show on Earth. I really don't know what is wrong with our TV here in Britain.

It is certainly one thing I think the American's have over us.

7. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

In the ideal world,
    1) US shows like Ugly betty, family guy etc will be available on the uk store the same they are available on the us store. Yes I know about us networks and deals with people like sky and channel 4 etc, but surely selling these shows will not dampen the demand for the rights to broadcast these shows, and in fact us networks would make more money.
    2) Deals with 1)BBC 2)ITV 3)Channel 4 4)BskyB
    3) Film deals surely they would be the same as US?

I don't think that reality shows will be available and soaps as well - they are shown too often, besides the whole point of the store is to buy tv shows are will become available on DVD later on. things like Hollyoaks whilst good, people will not spend £1 etc on something they will not watch again and again. Things like Little Britain etc I watch time and Time again.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Old episodes of Minder, George and Mildred and The Generation Game. With Larry Grayson.

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I thought the BBC was in the process of setting up its own store.

10. Butters macrumors 6502

Hopefully Peep Show, the mighty boosh, garth marenghis dark place, the IT crowd and similar shows will appear

11. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I think that the BBC are setting there own thing up too. I am sure that Channel 4 have their own thing too. I think that as part of any deal Apple would have to compensate them as those services will have been expensive.

12. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I have a feeling that the British selection will be very underwelming. With BBC and Ch 4 apparantly having their own plans for online distribution, the notion of being left with ITV and Five doesn't fill me with joy :(

13. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I don't know what you two are talking about, i love it, and all the characters are great.
    I would definetely say that it is my favourite TV show at the moment.
    davidjearly how old are you? I think you might be a bit old for it. What would you say a good tv show is?

14. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

The advert alone was enough to put me off. Just looked like lots of pretty teenagers having fun..of course with the token asian guy (who I'm sure will be involved in a story where his parents are ultra-conservative and object to something he does...).

I just looked like Hollyoaks, but with...actually it just looked like Hollyoaks.

15. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I assumed the bbc store would be free for uk folks and you could download tv shows for a week until you loose them, I would iTunes UK as more of a dvd store. i.e. I don't think we would see Top Gear on the iTunes store (because that won't be released to DVD) but Little britain would be so would be available.

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Ricky Gervais: The Office, Extras, and maybe his stand-up...

17. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Dancing on ice, Big Brother, I'm a celebrity get me out of here.......ad infinitum

18. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Most Haunted - Series 1-8 and the new Series 9

On another note, wasn't Most Haunted available to download on the US iTunes Music store.

19. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Surely no one would pay good money to see BB? Unless it was absurdly cheap - I wouldn't pay £1 a day... I just couldn't imagine people paying for something as short-lived and repetitive as that. If Blackadder were available, I'd download it in a flash.

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yeah...there are loads of great British oldies - Fawlty towers, Only fools and horses etc. But I think Apple would put mainly the recent stuff on the store...

21. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I'd love to see Blackadder too, and also Shameless, Fawlty Towers and Monty Python.
    Unfortunately most people seem to watch reality shows, so I'd say there will be some of that crap there too (most likely "Best of" rehashes)

Hopefully they throw in a few Irish shows - I'd love to get my hands on "Hands" - a 60's/70s documentary series about traditional craft workers. I've seen the odd episode on repeats and they're great.

22. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I watched two episodes of 'Absolute power' a while back, then went on a long holiday and missed the rest...those two episodes were brilliant, and Stephen Fry is great, I would love to have a cheap iTunes option to buy them...

23. Meatball macrumors regular

I wont buy any TV shows from iTunes until they're UK DVD resolution (720×576) :mad:

24. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think skins is a gem because I am the same age as the characters and I can really relate to it! im sure the older generation understand it but dont find it as interesting but I love it!

I would love to see that but with the BBC and Channel 4 having their own plans I can't see it working! It will be a real bummer if the BBC doesnt have content on their as the majority of their programs are ace! Cathering tate, The mighty boosh! Everything on BBC3 would be spliced up in a minute or two!!!

25. AppleMan101 macrumors regular

Because there's no precedent on iTunes for renting TV shows etc., which would suit the possible BBC's free-to-use-for-a-week-or-so-model, I don't think that BBC could release new content in that manner. I would expect only the BBC content that's been released to DVD already, i.e. anything on UKTV (UKTV is owned by BBC :eek: and if it was being provided by 'UKTV', they could charge for it, out of the back door in a manner of speaking), plus the content which is/was being shown on Telewest's Teleport/Virgin Media's thingy, which would include classic spooks etc.

As far as the other broadcasters go...I would expect some trash from ITV (not :apple: TV :) ) maybe some fair-ish content from C4 and I can't imagine anything of of value being added by C5.