UK widgets

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gangst, Jun 13, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Just thought I'd ask everybody living, working etc. in the UK at the moment what your favourite UK Dashboard widgets are?
    I ask so everybody form the UK using these forums will be able to find widgets designed for UK users.
    I could really do with a Yellow Pages stile widget or a decnt UK weather widget.......but what have you guys got.
    At the moment I've got UK train times, BBC news and the UK TV guide, but I'm really hoping that some of the other UK residents on these forums have got some cool UK only widgets.

Nick

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There's the myAmazon widget you can localise to Amazon UK, and there's a Radio 4 streaming widget, and a Yell UK phone widget. That's about it.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    In addition to the Radio 4 widget, there is one that streams all of the BBC radio channels (including the digital ones) here

There's also a Big Brother (yawn) one, a cricket score one (not just British), a National Lottery one and a Ceefax viewer.

How useful any of those are I'll leave up to you - suffice to it say that none of them are on my Dashboard!

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What about the NFL scoreboard?
    ;)

But what I'd like to see, just for fun, would be a real dashboard-style dashboard, with speedometer (processor speed), tachometer (cpu usage), fuel gauge (battery power) and ammeter (AP signal strength, or something). Just an idea...

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Hahah no way :) Does it cycle thru each page you don't want before arriving, 10 mins later, on the page you do want? Only to display it for 5 seconds while you scramble to find the Hold button?

Ahhhh Ceefax.. fond memories.

6. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

7. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I wish there was some Australian widgets, someone prove me wrong please.

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
  9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

That was my reaction too... along with 'Why?'

I was being good and sticking to UK widgets... Having said that, as soon as there's an NFL widget of any kind, I'm sure it will claim a spot! Slightly less necessary since most games are played on a Sunday and I'm usually in front of the TV in a bar watching the game... ;)

10. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

11. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

12. andysmith macrumors 6502

I made that :p

13. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Is anyone's Apple Weather widget playing up when you put in UK cities? I've had it set to London since I installed Tiger, but noticed that whichever two days are listed first they always are set to thunderstorms. Also during the day the main weather icon rather than being sun, is set to the moon!

I've tried to reset to city by putting in New York and then back to London - didn't work and kept telling me the city wasn't known. I thne took it off the dashboard and then back on, so it defaulted to Cardiff, but did recognise London - but for some reason its stuck on Cardiff! Another Tiger bug?

14. skp574 macrumors 6502

That's not London UK it's London (i believe a town in The States). I had the same problem when I installed Tiger for the first time.

When you enter the location type "London, UK" not just London. It will get the correct location.

HTH

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That'd be London, Ontario...

16. lord_flash macrumors regular

What, because youre a Man U fan?

17. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

is the big brother widget a webcam one or just up to date news on whats going on in the house? couldn't ind it on google so anyone got a link??

thanks

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

No because I'm an NFL fan rather than a soccer fan. Man who? :D

19. skp574 macrumors 6502

Geography is not my strong point :D

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

If it's any comfort, there's a London in Kentucky too which used to be weather.com's default London ;)

Getting back on topic, a new Sky Sports news widget for UK football news appeared today (pity it's the offseason I guess)

And there are multiple skins for the BBC radio streams appearing. I do like Beeblefish as a name :D