UK Wii Price

Discussion in 'Games' started by stephenmckeague, Sep 18, 2006.

1. stephenmckeague macrumors member

US Price of $250 = £133 GBP
    British Price of £180 = $335 USD

WTF??? Thats a difference of $85. £150 I could of handled but this is downright unfair :mad:

WHY??? Would it be unreasonable to give the UK the lower price for once

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

*BUZZZZZ* WRONG ANSWER. Your guy's (amazingly high) tax is included in the price, ours is not. When you remove the 17.5% VAT and compare pre-tax prices the systems, the UK Wii is ~$35USD more. Does that suck? Ya... but we both are paying more than the Japanese ($215 - and don't try and tell me that WiiSports is worth more that $19.99 - maybe $24.99), too.

In any case, yes the Wii is mroe in the UK, but not by $85. Blame your governments crazy high VAT tax if you want to be angry!

3. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well if were going to talk Taxes the British Wii is slighlty overpriced compared to its european neighbours.

Britain £179.99 with 17.5% tax included

Ireland €249.99 with 21% tax included

£179.99 on currency conversion is €267

So why does it cost €17 more in the UK with less tax ?

5. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I think Ireland is a strange case compared to the rest of europe. Things tend to be more expensive in Ireland than everywhere else in the Euro zone.

MRU, do you think they'll raise the price in Ireland once it comes out?

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

YES the chances are looking that way i'm afraid :mad: Gamestop & Smyths locally have it for pre-order but they expect the final price will be €259 when it goes on sale.

Its like the 360 premium was €409 instead of 399 here too and PS3 was expected to be €629 rather than €599 (before sony crashed the launch party) ...

The only store i think will carry it at the proper Euro price will be Argos. The uk high street catalogue retailer who are opening stores throughout Ireland. They had the 360 for €399 compared to everyone else, so maybe they will have the Wii for €249 too...

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well i think the vat is generaly across euro zone around 15-17% or something like that ... so i guess it really is more to blame at the pound and higher cost of living in the UK

after all it's the same with apple who charges quite a hard premium here

around here VAT is 20%

and it needs to be said that germany is going to increase VAT from 16% to 19% next year so i guess nintendo took that into euro price already so that they don't have to increase retail prices in january

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

*cough*$500 for an iPod*cough*cheaper to go to US and buy it personally*cough*

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There was a TV show dedicated to that. Would it be cheaper to fly out to Europe or America for a shopping spree? Most of the time the people broke even but they got a little holiday out of it.

The name escapes me but seeing it was daytime TV it was likely "Go shopping abroad to save money and maybe pay for the flight and accommodation if you are really lucky, or watch the ITV alternative"

10. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

See, now you guys now how it feels to be taxed without representation. I guess you should revolt, fight the tyranny!

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, I always think it is funny people "abroad" (not in the US) complain about extra high costs and put the blame on the company who is selling the product.

Taxes weigh in heavily, but not only that it can cost a lot more to ship as well.

Consider that in places with less demand, like Ireland, it is going to cost Nintendo extra in freight charges. Demand is so high in countries like Japan and the US that businesses can usually ship in much larger quantities, which ultimately saves them a lot of money.

Plus, companies probably have main headquarters setup in the countries with the highest demand. Meaning all the product goes to these locations already, shipping them again into the UK or other areas only adds even more cost.

In the end you probably aren't getting overcharged for the actualy product, you are just paying more because it costs more to get product to you and your government is taxing you worse.

Taxes vary from city to city in the USA, on average the system will cost about $270 US. That is at a tax rate of 8%, significantly lower then the UK VAT.

Edit: Also consider that the UK pricing could be different once the system is actually released. Wasn't the GameCube pricing announced higher then it actually ended up being? I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up 159.99 GBP at actual release. (Nintendo probably does have to estimate high based on the highest tax/shipping rates in specific regions of the UK)

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

that aside being on "relatively smaller" island doesn't make it cheaper as well because of transportation/logistics reasons

after the containers arrive in europe through ship in most likely Rotterdam/Hamburg or Antwerp shipping them back to the island or through the channel tunnel is hardly reducing cost isn't it ?

(i somehow doubt nintendo will go around flying them around .. they don't have that much money to throw away as microsoft does)

and don't forget all the different languages and power connectors (which could be worse if the powerbrick was internal ... logistic wise)

13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, right now I am sure it would be a great value to come to the US as the dollar is so weak atm. I remember when I was thinking about going to Europe because I could get 1.15 euro per dollar! It's more or less the opposite now. :(

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

you mean back in the day just months after launch where it dropped first and everybody in europe (especially in germany with the connected austrian market where the currency always had been rock solid before) screamed "OMG WE'RE DOOMED" ... :rolleyes:

at least the euro isn't as soaring as last year compared to the roller-coaster- dollar where comparing prices (like from apple) were extreme painfull ;) ...

(actually the swiss isn't all to happy without euro either since they get much more influenced by the dollar because of that)

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

*sits back and joyfully cracks knuckles* I'm in sterling

17. stephenmckeague thread starter macrumors member

I wish I bloody well wasn't