UK Xbox shipped

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Nov 30, 2005.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hooray,

My 2 pre-orderd xbox's have shipped from play.com :D

1 for me, 1 for ebay :p

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Nicely done, youll probably make a fair few £££ on eBay....

How long ago did you pre-order??

SHadow

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hah I'd say you're lucky. some mates of mine have pre-orders but got the dreaded email of "sorry we dont have enough Xboxs" earlier today.

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I planned ahead and pre-ordered at the beginning of May. :D

I'd say the fact that my past order history goes over 23 pages on play.com helped too.

5. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

lucky. I guess it looks like i'll have to preorder a ps3 six months in advance as well!

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats certainly true as i suspect the PS3 to have even more interest shown in it than the 360....

I dont't think it will be neccecary to pre-order Revolution's but i am going to anyway's just to be safe,

SHAdow

7. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

My preordered Xbox 360 core will ship to me on December 2nd. Prolly to eBay with it. I ordered last Friday :p

8. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

They arent even going on for that much money on eBay anymore.

Im sad at all the people that just want to order them to sell and not play.

Its a shame

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Totally. It's one thing to resell it if you somehow wind up with an extra one, but there are a LOT of folks who bought one JUST to resell it. I'm all for capitalism, but the money they're making is at the cost of a lot of disappointed gamers who really wanted a 360.

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

How do you wind up with an extra one - especially if youv'e hindered the words to 'pre-order' months ago unless you intentionally plan to have a second either for sale of for a gift?

I dont think the PS3 or Revolution will have the same problem as they are released during the summer/fall time, when the 'I need to buy xxxx for little johnny's christmas' syndrome is not in question.

No one cares if you have to wait a week or two in summer, but the christmas hit is always going to cause problems.

Look at the Slim Ps2 which had the same problems last year. Came out in October and come christmas were in very short supply, with people dissapointed for christmas.

If I get 600 Euro (cost's 410) for my spare Xbox I'll be delighted. If in the rare case I can't shift it before christmas, I won't be overly dispondant. I have 3 HDTV's in different rooms, I'd just hook it up to a spare
    :)

11. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

In a piece of blatent one-up-manship, ours is here now. It really is who you know that counts. Unfortunately, we can't get any games yet! :eek:

It definitely won't be going on eBay...

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Two from one supplier is a case of 'get one to sell' but I do know someone else who is expecting 2. He pre-ordered one from two different suppliers in case one of them let him down. He's had payment taken yesterday for both so he should be getting two.

In his defense, he's selling it onto a guy in the office whose pre-order isn't shipping and who has a son at home desperate for one for Christmas.

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

THAT is how you wind up with an extra Xbox (you ordered from two different places just to be safe), and THAT is how you dispose of an extra Xbox: To someone who couldn't get theirs.

The folks I'm upset with are those who bought one JUST to sell it for a huge profit.

14. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK, but thats still not accidental. There was always the good chance that you would end up with two.

I best not mention that I did actually have a pre-order in a local game shopas well in case play.com didn't come through. ;)

But when I saw that my order had shipped earlier today I rang them to let them know and they will just pass my reservation onto someone else. The deposit I gave will be used to buy a 360 game :) :)

In all likelyhood I'll probably end up selling to my cousin as he ordered one fairly late from gameplay.com and is not hopeful. In which case I wont make any extra money (though he best get me a decent crimbo present :D )

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Glad to see you're doing the right thing.

If I ended up with a second 360, it would be going in my bedroom... or I'd give it to my brother for Christmas. (Or I'd sell it at retail cost to a friend of mine who still works for Microsoft but couldn't get a 360...)

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Something I've been curious about for a while - a lot of UK members say that they're selling on eBay. Do they actually mean eBay, or is it often used as a generic term to indicate any auction site? Here in NZ, virtually nobody uses eBay, we use a local site called TradeMe. Do UK users tend to actually use eBay instead of a UK-based site?

Sorry, that was a bit confusing but I'm too lazy to edit it :(

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yup, we have eBay.co.uk which do lots of advertising (TV and press) to encourage us to use it... Aside from Amazon's marketplace, I can't actually think of any other UK-based auction sites that get any press at all.

18. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I suppose having a localised eBay that works in £ must help. One of the reasons why nobody uses eBay here is because everything is in foreign currencies. Even if you opt to sell to NZ users only, it's still all done in USD/AUD/GBP etc.

20. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've seen in another forum I'm a member of a couple of guys who have shown their Amazon delivery estimate dates shift from Feb to 7th Dec. Mine hasn't shifted from an estimate of 1-2nd Dec, which has to be bogus as I ordered on the 6th Nov, 4 days after the (then unknown) cut-off date for guaranteed delivery before Christmas.

If my 360 does arrive before the weekend, I'm beginning to think that Amazon may be operating a preferential delivery system - higher spending (regular) customers may be getting their's before people who joined to pre-order. I've spent a fair bit of non-360 related cash on Amazon in the last 2 months.

Still, I think I'll be disappointed come the weekend!

21. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think some online retailers do operate an unofficial preferntial system. I've ordered so much stuff from play over the last 4 years, plus I sent them an email the other day enquiring if I'd be getting my xboxes as I had 7 games on pre-order and if they couldn't ship my xbox's, to not bother shipping me the games.

22. Nezza macrumors member

Nezza

I pre-ordered in August and my Amazon account is still showing an estimated dispatch of today, but with an hour left of the day I'm not hopeful.

The games have been dispatched though. :rolleyes:

If they do a preferential system based on money spent with them, then I should have been a shoe in - I spend a scary amount of money on books and DVD's with them each month. Not to mention the three cameras and three iPods in the last few months.

23. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I think I must be developing OCD or something - can't help but check my order every hour! Well it didn't ship yesterday, and now has a shipping date of tomorrow, with a estimated arrival time of the 3rd-5th... I'm still a little hoepful, but if it doesn't shift to "shipped" today or tomorrow I'd pretty much presume its not going to happen until next year. Boo.

24. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Well I may have a reason why it looks like I may be getting my 360, and why a forum member from OcUK had his deliver estimate slashed from Feb to 7th Dec:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/30/amazon_xbox/

It basically looks like Amazon are allowing one premium pack per customer to allow more people to recieved the 360 now! Plus stopping resellers on ebay I'm sure.
    If thats why I get my 360 sooner rather than later, I'm all for it!