Uknown Purchase On My Debit?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Jul 30, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I had an unknown purchase of $9.99 from ABSOLUTE-SOFT.COM on the 23rd. I'm pretty damn sure that I didn't buy anything from that site. The site isn't even like a site. It's one of those sites where it has links to a bunch of other sites. The only thing that I purchased in the past month is 3 tickets to a show. I also bought that on the 23rd. Could it be possible that someone jacked my debit card number? I was hooked in from a LAN line, and my WiFi was turned off and my Firewall was on.

I'm just tryin to think of some possibilities. I did notice that on the site it is linked to a dating site that I made a profile on (which was free) and I made it in the beginning of the month. I haven't accessed to until today to check if they charged me with the "premium" package but the premium is $14.99, and nothing has changed on my account.

What should I do? I never dealt with something like that. Should I call my bank, and ask them if they can give me any more information? Could they do that? Cause all I see online is "Purchase made on 7/23/06 at ABSOLUTE-SOFT.COM" for an amount of $9.99. Thanks guys.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Any comments would be appreciated.

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

See if you can stop payment on it, and then go through the steps on possible ID theft.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A quick google search seems to imply that you are the victim of some kind of pre-identity theft phishing scam. Looks like they somehow get your account info and they try to get lots more info about you as part of "reversing the charges".

Deal directly with your bank and get a new debit card plus any other steps to protect yourself from identity theft!

B

4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I didn't even think about Googling it. I just did and found people with similar situations. Thanks.

About cancelling a debit card... Does that affect my account in any way? Or should I just wait til tomorrow, and call my bank?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just getting a new debit card # shouldn't affect your checking account in any way, but check with your bank as to what they suggest you do.

B

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you didn't reply to the email with information about your account, you should be find. Do you have online banking? Check your balance.

If you did reply to the phishing email with personal information, call your bank today.

7. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Ok thanks guys, greatly appreciated. I'm glad it wasn't a larger amount than 10 bucks. How did these people get a hold of my debit number?

8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I didn't do anything like that with my email, I don't even think I get E-mails form my bank. Yea I have online banking that's where I saw it. The balance seems right (not that much money :D ) but $10 missing for some wierd site.

I see how people can overlook this. If this was around Christmas season, I might have missed it.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

FYI, often criminals will start with a small purchase to see if it is noticed. If it is not, then they go for the bigger stuff.

Call your bank. They'll be able to help you.

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Wow. Indeed it is time to call the old bank.

11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Who knows...something very much like this happened to my debit card a year or so ago, except the charge was more like $20. It was some completely random so-called "company" that had nothing to do with anything that I've ever bought anything from. I did some googling at the time and found that other people had the same thing happen to them. The best anyone could guess was that some crook had hacked a database somewhere and got a bunch of numbers that way.

I called the bank and explained the situation, and they provisionally refunded the money pending an investigation, which only took about a day. Needless to say I got a new card. A couple of people involved had been in contact with the FBI and told everyone else to do the same thing, but when I tried that, the FBI told me to tell the CIA instead, so I have no idea what happened after that.

--Eric

12. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm currently going through something similar, actually! I don't own an iPod or any iPod bits and pieces, yet a transaction from ipodworld.co.uk showed up on my company credit card recently. I quickly called up and reported it to my card issuer who has started the ususal chargeback proceedings. The party that debited the money will be asked to prove that the transaction is genuine and, as they wont be able to do that, it should be refunded in full.

Quite how something like this happens is something I can only speculate towards. I doubt that anyone is actually running around with my credit card or personal details due to the care I take with sensitive material, particularly the disposal of it. I do, however, use my business card online and I can't help but wonder if at some stage one of the few card processing companies, like WorldPay for example, has made a total blunder.

I guess we'll see when my next statement arrives...

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, cancel your debit card as soon as possible. It should not affect your account in any way, although, your financial institution might charge a fee for a new debit card. But if you tell them your card was "stolen" (which is essentially what this is), there should not be a charge for a new card (at least I would not charge you at the financial institution that I work for). :)

14. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I just cancelled my card, and they're sending me a new one in the mail soon. Hmm... I forgot to ask but is my checking account still accesible? I need to pay some bills. I'm used to doing everything electronically.

15. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I had a MBNA Visa that got ripped with a fraudulent charge. I was more than a bit suspicious with I got a $5.00 charge for "First Choice Office Su Campbellton NB" on a card that I hadn't used in months. I had no clue what that "company" was, so I Googled it and found out about many people with the same bogus charge. MBNA immediately credited me, but I cancelled the account since I hardly ever used the card, and my primary card had a lower interest rate.

16. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

call your bank asap. you dont want these people taking advantage of you!

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

By the way, now that you're officially a victim you can get two free credit reports a year. For non-victims it is one.
    Go to FTC.gov for more info.

18. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I've never had a credit report. Thanks for the info.

19. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

If you do get a credit report, watch out for all the sites who want to charge you for it. When you get the free reports, you will get all the information (account information, transactions, etc.) but not your actual credit score. That you will have to pay for.

20. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

hmm, i would call your bank right away. Here is the Whois data in case you havent seen it

Domain name: ABSOLUTE-SOFT.COM

Registrant Contact:
    Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
    Whois Agent (dhcjyjwl@whoisprivacyprotect.com)
    +1.4252740657
    Fax: +1.4256960234
    PMB 368, 14150 NE 20th St - F1
    C/O ABSOLUTE-SOFT.COM
    Bellevue, WA 98007
    US

Administrative Contact:
    +1.4252740657
    C/O ABSOLUTE-SOFT.COM
    Bellevue, WA 98007
    US

Technical Contact:
    +1.4252740657
    C/O ABSOLUTE-SOFT.COM
    Bellevue, WA 98007
    US

Name Servers:
    dns1.name-services.com
    dns2.name-services.com
    dns3.name-services.com
    dns4.name-services.com
    dns5.name-services.com

Creation date: 26 Feb 2004 10:21:32
    Expiration date: 26 Feb 2007 10:21:32

A whois on the name servers, and the admin contact brought up the same information, though i find it unlikely that they are where this says.

Good Luck
    Ed

21. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Yeah I just got my Credit reports from the site Jessican mentioned, it's www.annualcreditreport.com, never realized it existed, and I don't trust all those sites like freecreditreport.com, my mom tried them once and it charged her $79.99!!! As for your actual credit, or Fico score like ejb190 said you'll have to pay for that, the only site I would trust for that would be www.myfico.com.

22. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

i had something similar like this happen but it was with Blue Star Financial, that was the name of the debit. Well when i went to my they retrieved their bank's contact information and it turns out I wasn't the only one with transactions made. So they identified it as an ID theft. So my bank refunded the money with no charge and reopened a new account for me. it was a pain but im glad i have a good bank.