Ukraine Leader: US Funding Poinsoned Rival

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link

At least we only had election fraud in strategic states. At least?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A dictatorship is happening again in Russia just look at Putin who will be deciding all the governors in russia who will no longer be elected by popular vote. This poisoning was more communist strong arm tatics just as was a false election. I hope those people pay very close attention and keep one eye on that so called ras-Putin.

3. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

What are you talking about?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think he's talking about the US election...

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Russia wants a democratic Ukraine as much as the U.S. wanted a communist Cuba.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Or as much as the US wants a democratic Iraq?

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Anyway. Democracy is so last half-century.

Dictatorships, fascism and monarchies are enjoying a retro revival.

8. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I agree that this is a scary thing. Putin has made some bold moves in the last few years and seems poised to retain permenant control of Russia. For those who dno't know what Don't Hurt Me is talking about, read up.

I'd say the bright side to this is that Putin seems committed to a strong economy built on capitalist ideals. This, to me, signals that the country wouldn't slip back to communism any time soon. We can only wait and see though.

And I really don't think this is comparable to Bush and the US elections. However bad the Patriot Act was, it is nothing compared to Putins power move this year.

Taft

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks for the link Taft, i see the poisoning and phony election as more of the same from the old guard at communist head qtrs. They can hide behind capitalism but the govt in Ukraine and Russia arent close to being democratic. Tyrany and Dictatorships go hand in hand. Putin is removing the people from any decision making and wouldnt be surprised to his hand in this poisoning. Remember what happened to the guy running against him.

10. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I agree. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Taft

11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

You're right that Russia won't be sliding into communism anytime soon. Unfortunately, building a Russia that resembles Nazi Germany more than the Soviet Union isn't much of an improvement.

Russia has already regressed to a one-party system. The United Russia Party is now in about the same position as the Communist Party was back in the USSR days.

One thing I don't hear reported much is Putin's push for a "Single Economic Zone." The Single Economic Zone is supposed to consist of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan. It is a European Union-style alliance that would be based out of Moscow. Not surprisingly, Yanukovich was strongly in favor of the Economic Zone while Yuschenko preferred better relations with the EU. Showing support for the Economic Zone was one of the main motivations behind Putin's campaigning in Ukraine.

Just food for thought, now that Putin has consolidated his power in Russia he may be trying to re-create the USSR in some form. He is on the record as saying the collapse of the USSR was the greatest tragedy Russia has ever suffered.

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I heard the Single Economic Zone plan on NPR a while back, and it certainly struck me as an attempt by Putin to consolidate Eastern European economies under the Kremlin as a "competitor" to the EU.

All of the moves in Russian politics recently have struck me as very bad things. All hail the return of the czar! Yikes!

Taft

13. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I'm not going to defend Putins actions, but spending $65 million dollars to disrupt elections in Ukraine and then condeming the favorable outcome is BS and a waste of money. Russia is not going to lose Ukraine, even if they have to use military action, it is too important to their strength as a nation.