Ukraine sets dates for Iraqi withdrawal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco

At least one step in the right direction.
  2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    It's an interesting question. How long can our Willing partners keep up the charade to their people, and more importantly (for practical reasons) how long can they afford to keep troops in Iraq?

Anyone from England know anything about British troop levels? I know they're not going anywhere soon, but how's the financial strain? Bad? Will it have to be addressed? Or are you just going to spend yourselves into the ground like us Yanks?
  3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Here's a very good website for keeping track of this issue:

Britain seems to be remaining firm, from all I've seen. Keep in mind, Britain is, in international affairs, the little kid with the runny nose who likes to hang out with the school bully. (The UK has three choices: ally with the US, ally with France and Germany, or become insignificant). It's the countries behind the big two that keep shifting. So far, Nicaragua, Spain, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Philippines, Thailand, New Zealand, Hungary, and Portugal have pulled out. Poland, the Netherlands, Bulgaria, and Ukraine are in the process of pulling out.

Militarily, it's all the US and Britain anyway. It doesn't make a large difference. In terms of PR and legitimacy, the coalition has been seriously falling appart. Especially important is that, with the Netherlands, Ukraine, Poland, and Spain pulling out or having already pulled out, the only 1,000+ contingents that will remain are the US, UK, Italy, and South Korea.

As for how long partners can afford to send troops. For many of the partners, it's a financial plus to send troops, because commitments are rewarded with aid. Georgia, as my favorite example, has no business sending 800+ troops out of its borders considering it doesn't even have the military strength to reign in its regions (Abkhazia, South Ossetia, etc.) But, the commitment was rewarded by a generous package from the US.

So how long can most of these countries afford to send troops? For as long as we pay them to.
  4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    I don't know why New Zealand ever gets involved in these things. Privatisation raped the economy down there and most NZers could care less about Iraq, much less feel threatened by them. I think they just like to be apart of things.