Ultima GTR breaks 0-100-0 Production car record

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Sep 28, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

10.3 seconds for a production car, with road legal tyres only costing £63 daddy G's! :D

60 in 2.8
    100 in 5.9
    100-0 in 4.4

damn that's fast!! :eek:

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/record.html

Expect Caterham come back with an even wilder Superlight R500 to wrestle back their record!! :D

According to Autocar Magazine, Ultima Director Richard Marlow fancies his chances of stealing the Radical boys fastest lap of the 'Ring by a production car :eek: as well as setting the first official 0-200-0 time as well!! :eek:

Don't you just love the English cottage industry!! :D

2. dross macrumors regular

dross

I think you would be hard presed to call it a production car. But it is way fast and way cool :D

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

why??

it's part of our somewhat special cottage industry of small car manufacturers like TVR, Morgan, Radical, Bristol, Caterham and Westfield, they only turn out relatively small numbers, but they're still considered 'Production' cars.

now the Radical is definitely more borderline :p :p :p

http://www.radicalmotorsport.com/

4. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I watched the video, but how did that get to 100! it is REALLY fast.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow, so it's legal to have flames coming out of the back of your car like that? Who knew?

8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    damn.

it could be bettered too, they did lock up the tyres in that run

9. Edot macrumors 6502

I don't understand why this matters...

I don't understand the interest in fast cars that are "street legal". It's like bragging about the speed of an ibook even though there are PowerMac G5's. It's not like this car is the size of a Geo Metro either. There is no reason that 0-100-0 is meaningful unless you are racing, so why not use a race car. I would rather pay the same amount for a safe and luxurious car, than a car that is intended for something you can't use it for. If you were to use it to race then it would probably be killed by other cars. So, why is everyone so interested in these stats? 0-60 would seem a little more important for "street legal" since that is how fast you should be driving it anyway.

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Monstrous...

I'd expect Caterham to go after this, although the 500 is stretching the "road -legal tag a bit.

Gotta love a car that'll hit 100mph 0.5 of a second behind the BMW M3 hitting 60mph though... :D

11. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I hope they make this a real production car so idiots can kill themselves by hitting the tree across the street the moment they drive it out of the dealership.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What do you mean "real", it is real, that's the whole point!

13. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

But couldn't the same be argued about most cars??

These type of cars are known as 'Trackday' cars, not only are they completely legal to drive on the road with no mods needed, but once you take them to a track for a 'Trackday', they're usually fully adjustible and with a set of slicks faster than many of the lower formula racing cars.

Trackdays are SERIOUS fun... ;)

Driving any car requires skill and discipline behind the wheel... doesn't matter whether it's a Ford or a Ferrari. Usually though these type of cars are bought by enthusiasts who CAN drive, and know that the full performance can never be exploited on the road only on the track, and with this level of performance you have absolutely nothing to prove to no one. ;)

14. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Hey iGav, a little off topic I know but, speaking of the british car industry, bad news about Silverstone not appearing on the F1 calender next year. Be a blow for the firms in my area that rely on F1 for their business if it goes overseas. A friend of mine makes engine parts for a lot of the teams and it would be devastating for his small company to lose that business not to mention the fact that it would be tragic for the UK to lose the Grand Prix.

15. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    that is insane fast; the video doesnt make it loook like he hit 100 tho

16. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

looks like 100 mph to me....in 2nd gear no less.

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sweet. Now if I could just get the wife to dump the minivan for one of these, I'd be all set. :D

18. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i bet it's got a 6800 in it! :p but seriously, 192 w/ 1500rpm left? damn!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: just 4 and a half months till i get my learning permit but i sure wont be driving that...

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Doubtful this was the entry-level production version, the article made it sound like they raided the factory for all the go-fast goodies.

Nothing wrong with that, many a US car company has raided the high-performance parts bins prior to showing off for the press.

Still a good indication of what the car can do, or it's limits.

20. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

of course it wasn't the entry level version :p :p :p

but it is the production version ;) you can buy this car directly from the manufacturers and drive it home with no additional modifications. :)

it's not like say the Callaway Corvette which isn't a production car. ;)

21. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I just got back from doing a bit of shopping in the village next to mine and saw a Porsche Carrera GT parked outside the local video shop. An old couple walked up to it and someone asked if it was their car and the old chap said that it was. The original person said that they expected it to be some 17 year old's car and the old boy said "Quite the opposite, i'm actually 71"! Top geezer! Owning a 200mph+ £300,000 supercar at his age. Sounded great too! Doubt i'll ever see one of those on the road again.

22. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I like his style... :D as long as he doesn't drive it like a Volvo! :p

23. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Well he gave it a good caning up the street :)

24. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

that was probably his walking stick getting stuck on the accelerator! heheheh

25. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

LOL maybe that howling metalic wail was actually him screaming as the clutch broke his hip.