Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ultimate Collector Macintosh

• Apple 1

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • G4 Cube

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Apple Lisa/Macintosh XL

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I would have to say Apple I, just because of its rarity and the fact it was apple's first computer.

Runner's up would be:
-mac 128k
-20th anniversery mac
-Apple PowerManhatten ( not actually produced, just prototypes around)
-any clear mac/prototype mac

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
How can the Apple 1 be the "ultimate Apple collectors computer", there were so few made that they are virtually impossible to get hold of ignoring the silly price tag if you find one. It's not like it was even a great computer, Woz threw it together with bits from old experiments he had lying around. It wasn't even the first computer Woz built, not by a long shot. The only thing it has on its side is its the first computer with the Apple name it. Ok I wouldn't say no if someone gave me one, but I don't lust after it. Now the T.A.M. on the other hand is everything a collectable computer should be, which includes obtainable (but not too obtainable) and useable as well as an amazing bit of industrial design in its own right. I want one really badly :D

8thMan

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Ultimate ultimate?

Not sure if this exactly counts, but I can't imagine a more important and collectible Macintosh...er...proto-Macintosh: the Xerox-Parc Alto. Although not technically an Apple product, it certainly is more a 'Macintosh' than the Apple 1.

alto.jpg

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
What was that, when I searched on google it came up with nothing.

From AppleHistory Museum:

Development: ~ 1996 - 1997
Status when discontinued: early testing phase
Type: Power Macintosh 7700 computer
Codename: PowerExpress Manhattan

PowerExpress Manhattan was designed as low-end desktop Power Macintosh computer, the successor of the Power Macintosh 7300. It was housed in the 'Outrigger' case (PowerMac 7500) and featured a G3 processor. However, its specifications were so similar to the Power Macintosh G3 Desktop project, that it was discontinued in favor of the PowerMac G3, which featured a more modern mainboard design.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
From AppleHistory Museum:

Development: ~ 1996 - 1997
Status when discontinued: early testing phase
Type: Power Macintosh 7700 computer
Codename: PowerExpress Manhattan

PowerExpress Manhattan was designed as low-end desktop Power Macintosh computer, the successor of the Power Macintosh 7300. It was housed in the 'Outrigger' case (PowerMac 7500) and featured a G3 processor. However, its specifications were so similar to the Power Macintosh G3 Desktop project, that it was discontinued in favor of the PowerMac G3, which featured a more modern mainboard design.

great info

i guess you could say it would be apart of the Beige G3's history in some way. the Beige G3 was orignal supost to use a 604e cpu at first before they switched to the G3 cpu as its main cpu. but if you look on ones mobo next to the zif cpu you will see where the socket for the 604e cpu was supost to be.

i would not know what would be the ultamate Mac really. but if i was to say anything i would have to say TAM also. maybe one of the proto Mac's since there is allot of diffrent model's it would be hard to tell what one.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
At $666.66 the apple 1 was the anti-christ, yet it was also the first apple computer so props to the Apple 1

I recal reading that Steve Jobs was the one that wanted to sell these but Woz wanted the $666.66 and Steve Jobs did not like it but Woz told him the .66 made it ok. i cant remember I might have the Steves mixed up

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Spock said:
I recal reading that Steve Jobs was the one that wanted to sell these but Woz wanted the $666.66 and Steve Jobs did not like it but Woz told him the .66 made it ok. i cant remember I might have the Steves mixed up

So one of the steves wanted to be goo dand the other not, like a split personality?

Spock

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
In my sentance the word LIKE makes sure that the FIGURE OF SPEECH used is, in fact, a simile.

I am sorry I misundertood, I know people that refered to Steve Wozniak as just Woz and had no idea what his first name was :eek:

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
nice little collection you have MacG4, that lc475 in a Lc405 case looks nice in black.

i have a Yikes G4 but i only have the mobo and cpu i just need to find a case with no mobo and cpu and no drives so i can put mine together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.