Ultimate Frisbee?

Discussion in 'Community' started by encephalon, Nov 8, 2002.

1. encephalon macrumors member

I've been wondering if there are any other Ultimate players out there.. So does, or has anyone been an active player of Ultimate Frisbee? Currently, I'm playing with the University of Washington mens Ultimate team, the Sundodgers (website). I also have pick up games with a group of people in my home town (website).

I did a quick search of the forums and it seems that the only person who talks about and plays Ultimate is dukestreet. Is it too late to call off the 1st annual Macrumors Ultimate Tournament then? ;)

2. diorio macrumors 6502a

I have played ultimate occasionally, but not a lot of people play where I live. Frisbee golf is quite popular on the other hand. I enjoy both.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I played it in middle school :D. My dad was a big ultimate player
    for a long time. I think it is a great game. I wish it were more
    popular.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

5. encephalon thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I play Frisbee golf as well. We have a make-shift course on our campus that is fun to play. The coolest hole includes a difficult huck over our fountain (35-40 yards across).

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have a frisbee, its fun, what more can I say

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been playing Ultimate for almost 10 years now - we have a Tuesday/Thursday game every week at noon by a field at work. Most of the guys who play also play in a rec league, WAFC, www.wafc.org , and I've actually captained our team for 3 or 4 seasons.

I absolutely love it, occassionally playing on Saturday mornings on the Mall in DC. Although lately I haven't been playing as much as I should. Going to miss the game today since the field is soaked and we'll rip it up if we play, the secondary field is on a slope and quite nasty, an injury waiting to happen.

I've got a couple pics and video clips here (the 1999 links have much more)

Ultimate is probably the best team sport I've ever played, fast, intense and everyone gets to throw and catch. If you like to sprint (like I do) its fantastic! :D

D

8. iGav macrumors G3

I can't throw a Frisbee............ :( Well not reliably!! 9 times out of 10 the thing will hit the ground and roll like a cartwheel!! :(

I wish my dog could run and catch a Frisbee.... you know like at the start of the film 'Flight Of The Navigator'......... :)

I didn't actually realise it was a sport as such either..... with points and teams......

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its actually a pretty damn popular sport, more than you might expect. Washington, DC is probably one of the largest ultimate playing regions, but they're world wide.

If you get a chance, go check out a game, there are a couple pickup games in London and other places in England.

http://www.upa.org/resources/pickup/pickup.shtml

I'd love to see it as an Olympic sport - it would be one of the most fun to watch, the athleticism required is spectacular to watch, even if you're not a player. Laying out for a disk, flying through the air for a second or two trying to grab it.....don't do that too much anymore, but if the ground is soft and if it has been raining its even better. You hit the ground and you slide for quite a while.

D :D

10. encephalon thread starter macrumors member

I would have to agree that laying out for a disk is one of the most satisfying things you can do in any sport. Well, it is for me anyway :p. I think it would do really well in the olympics. I can just imagine an entire stadium of fans cheering for a guy that made a great layout. That would be cool :D

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Laying out for a disk, even in the endzone is great - but sometimes laying out for D is even better. One game a couple seasons ago we had a turn over at the goalline, the other team stacked it up in the endzone and called out for one player to make a cut (simple play that works 99% of the time). My guy cut, I chased him, but he was a little lazy thinking I wouldn't lay out for D. I dove through the air and smacked the disk down, friggin awesome. And before they could even regroup from what they had considered an easy score, I was halfway down field, all alone, sprinting to the endzone. The handler who threw the disk to me didn't get it all the way, but we ended up scoring that point.

D :D