Ultimate Frisbee

Discussion in 'Community' started by pepeleuepe, Oct 8, 2003.

1. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

Just wondering if anyone else out in the MR community plays ultimate frisbee. I personally have been playing for about 4 years now. I'm one of the captains of my college team, even though we're not that amazing, its still a great time and it keeps me off the MR Forums for a couple hours every night :D . If anyone else plays, it would be interesting to see where you play and for how long you've been playing.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I played in High Schol, and really enjoyed it, but never seem to have the time to find a group to play with any more.

Neat sport, though, and highly underappreciated outside college circles, if you ask me.

3. Dros macrumors 6502

My impression is that lots of Ultimate players come from the sciences. so I would bet there are quite a few computer science types that play on this forum. It appeals to people that are driven and competitive but didn't like the culture of high school varsity sports. I played for my college team... always 3rd at Regionals.

Great sport. Nothing like going horizontal and watching that disc ease into your hands. And fighting to maintain the spirit of the game and make unbiased calls when a trip to Nationals is on the line.

4. Frozone macrumors 6502

I've never played it and my school doesn't have a team. But a bunch of people in the band play it when they don't have to practice and they are wanting to get a team together. Our cross town rivals have a team though. Or is it Frisbee Football that they have a team for? Hmm, don't know but it's one of em'. Explain the rules and everything

5. pepeleuepe thread starter macrumors 6502

6. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    ultimate frisbee

I've played a lot. I was fortunate to have worked at Columbia High School in Maplewood, NJ, where the sport was originated. I played in the 20th anniversary game in 1988, where a monument was dedicated in the student parking lot where the game was first played. I was also the faculty advisor for a number of years.

You can thank Buzzy Hellring and Joel Silver (yes, that Joel Silver) for the sport.

Great game. I'm currently the faculty advisor of the ultimate frisbee club at Somerville HS in Somerville, NJ.

Disc in!
    MFK

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

woohoo!!! Damn, an actual thread on ultimate - I've been playing for over 10 years now. Sometimes on teams, but lately just pick up. We have a noon game at work with about 15-20 regulars that we play all year round, rain, sun, snow Tuesdays and Thursdays. There's also a pickup on the Mall in DC I've played in on the weekends, but not for a couple years now.

I really wish I had learned about it sooner - I absolutely love the game and think its one of the best field sports out there.

and I just received 15 practice disks from Discraft - I managed to get a good selection of stuff. Anyone ever get those discs?

D

8. pepeleuepe thread starter macrumors 6502

Practice Discs

Our team was thinking about ordering those for practices. I've never really looked into anymore than hearing about hit. What exactly is on the discs and how much did they end up being shipped?

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There just like regular disks - about 4.50 or so per disk after shipping, and they're all random designs - some quite cool and some quite lame. I highly recommend ordering them, but you might want to order them by phone and talk to a salesperson. Absolutely no wedding disks - these are by far the lamest ones out there.

I've gotten some from fantastic ones - and in different colors.

But Discraft Ultmate disks are the *only* discs for playing.......there have been only a few cases where we've used a whamo and its a piece of crap, less control and doesn't fly as well. On a windless day I can get a 170-180 foot throw - with a whamo I'd be lucky to get the pull 3/4s the way down the field.

I've been flirting on getting my own disks made, but at a minimum 100 order, $500 is a bit steep right now. Maybe some day.

D