Ultimate Games Machine

Discussion in 'Community' started by madamimadam, Nov 6, 2003.

1. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Those type of auctions scare me. Over priced number one, but i want to see a picture, even if its just the parts, i would like the comfort of knowing that atleast in some point in time he had what he is claiming to sell. To risky to me. But a nice machine none the less, just not for me.

3. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

OVER PRICED??????????

How on earth did you come to that decision?

If someone asks, I'd be happy to take pictures of the actual machine but I'm not paying ebay to put the pictures up.

Hell, I'll even do a little pose in my underwear for you if you'll buy it
    :) ;)

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

QUICK SOMEONE BUY IT!

jk :)

Well, if I had enough money to afford such a thing I might buy it, unfortunately im saving up for a g5 rev b.

scem0

5. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Wouldn't it be nice
    :)

I think I'm gonna hang out for Rev 2 PowerBooks... I'm sure my Ti 1GHz will last me until then.

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

:D Are you selling shiny metal objects? :D

I never buy without a picture of the actual item. Unless it is under $10. But I usually link the pics from a webpage. That way I don't have to fool around with E-bay's pic system.

7. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Post in the "Marketplace and Classifieds" section.

You've said that it won't turn on in your other thread, take it back and get it fixed.

8. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

You are making an assuption that I bought everything from one place
    :)

9. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

no I'm not. Take the BROKEN (don't buy this machine in it's current condition) parts back to where you bought them. I've been to Brisbane, it's big but not huge. What's the issue with going to a few different stores to get a few different components replaced.

My computer has parts form 4 different stores in it, and I have no trouble getting broken parts replaced from where I bought them.

10. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

11. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I also mentioned in the other thread that I have had multiple DOAs which should automatically tell you that I have taken them back.

12. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Forgiver me but waht does DOA mean? I'm not a huge fan of acronyms.

If you got replacements of the power supply, and anything elese that was broken what are you complaining about?

13. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

**Sigh**... I wish you could have read the thread before posting

I received a replacement that was also DOA and the replacements take a while to come through unlike the 24hr turn-around with Apple. It is such an anti-climax, frustration and excitment killer to have to wait weeks to get your machine working instead of days or even a day most of the time.

DOA = Dead On Arrival

14. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

So you bought the products over the net, they didn't work when you built the machine and you got sent another part/s and they also didn't work.

Either
    1. You can't build computers,
    2. You have gotten really, and I mean really unlucky
    3. or Maybe you should not buy stuff over the internet (from the US I'm guessing,) so you can actually go in to a store (with your fried computer,) have a whine and make sure that the replacement part works before you go home home.

I have never bought computer parts over the internet and currently don't intend to.

P.S: Did you make sure the power supply was on 240V, not 110V. I've seen power supplys fried buy not having them set correctly.

15. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

man, you should keep that thing, you have a tibook to use while you **** with it to get it working, and once it is working, it should be a pretty damn nice machine....
    for a pc...

16. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Oh dear... at what point did I start buying the product over the web??? I buy from distributors

I can build just fine, thanks

It is more likely that this is the case given that it is rev1 product and there isn't the same quality control you would expect from a company such as Apple.

I've already told you that I have used the PSU in another computer.

Maybe you should stop being such a cynic and just accept that I tried it with an open mind thinking I was going to get up with the coolest games machine around but am leaving now because I don't believe the troubles to be worth the gains. At least I have given it a try, unlike the many around who just bag out the opposition without even thinking about taking a look to see what they are like.

You know, I probably would but, as I said in my first post, I went too far over budget. Obviously I had the money to buy the gear but now that I have bought it all I can't justfy spending that much on a machine that just... well... games.

17. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Sorry my mistake, When you said DOA I assumed that you bought them off the net, rather than from a local distibuter.

The new 15" Power books, the last gen of the G3 iBook, just to name a few apple products that have suffered greatly in resent history, Every company has issuses with products.

Hang on, Do you expect someone to buy the computer in it's current non-working condition?

18. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

OH GOD NO

The computer SHOULD be fixed tomorrow... I have a meeting with the supplier tomorrow morning and we'll be getting the problem repaired.

19. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Good to see, let me know how it pans out.
    Sorry for taking a few stabs at you but I just wanted to know what you just told me. good luck:)

Since you live in AUS do youreslf a favour and buy this months issue of 'PC PowerPlay' There's a great write up on the Athlon 64 vs the P4. If nothing else, it's worth a read.

20. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

That's a bit of a rough write up... they are barely comparable.

I am a bit of an AMD boy myself if I have to make a choice between the two companies.

21. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

The ultimate Gaming Machine is one you can get for $3000 on alienware and then build it yourself for a thousand or more dollars less.

My friend did it.

2.4 P4, decent Hard Drive, Video card, Mother Board ... all that Jazz for a ton less.

22. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

A P4 2.4 is ultimate????

My system is less "ultimate" now that I have been forced to sell the Raptors seperately... at least everything is working now, though.

Too bad after getting the machine all working some idiot backed into my car. :(

23. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Can't catch a break can you, Your having a really bad run.
    Hope you luck improves in the near future

24. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Thanks... I have MOST of the machine working now... just installing XP but it is taking forever because of the crap I had to go through to get the SATA RAID going and now that it is going it is taking its sweet time formatting the drives... but hey, "always look on the bright side of life"... its working... minus the fact that I have not set up the fans properly yet so they are on full all the time and I have broken off one of the cables on the temperature reader which will have to be fixed/replaced before I sell this baby but those are pretty mild things really.

Out of interest, why was my only option for formatting NTFS? While I know the benifits of NTFS over FAT32, I thought it interesting that I didn't have a choice.

BTW, interesting situation... the cable colouring on the Logitech speakers is different from the colours on the ports on the motherboard so, at the moment, I don't know which cable goes where. The details of the ports is in the instruction booklet for the MoBo, I am sure, but I just thought I'd mention it... I would have thought everyone would be nice and use standard colours but it is kind of like the AV companies that make yellow, red and black RCA cables instead of yellow, red and white... there is a standard but some people just like to make their own choices. :)

25. madamimadam thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Well, here it is, my first message from my Athlon64.

There are a lot of things I have noticed about this system, both good and bad. Browsing Windows is infinitely faster than browsing OSX but, at the same time, the default theme for XP spends too much time with cosmetics and not enough time with usability... things are just too big. This will be helped when I put my 19" monitor on here tomorrow but it will still be an issue unless I find another theme I like.

Browsing web pages, on the other hand, is SO clunky... how do you Windows users deal with that????

Edit: OOOKKKK.... 32 updates available for XP SP1 and 25 are security updates.

Edit2: Looks like most scrolling is a little clunky... might be the monitor and GPU... I'll comment again after putting on the new monitor and installing all the correct drivers.