Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
sorry guys, but i am too lazy to create a new thread. but i got a quick question, i got a 4x superdrive. if i use a 2x dvd-r, would this work.

i can't make my superdrive to burn...

stoid

macrumors 601
redAPPLE said:
sorry guys, but i am too lazy to create a new thread. but i got a quick question, i got a 4x superdrive. if i use a 2x dvd-r, would this work.

i can't make my superdrive to burn...

Make sure you set, in your DVD burning prefs, to only burn at 2x otherwise you'll get a coaster.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Update! So the "hack" worked. now i am "stuck" with 2 folders after the "burn".an .img file was created with the video_ts and the audio_ts folders.

if i want to burn this to a dvd in a later date (i have a superdrive (internal) and i only want to archive my movie), how can i do this with iDvd or better yet in dvd studio pro?

any help would be appreciated.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I'm not sure you can burn with iDVD or DVDSP from a VIDEO_TS folder, I use Toast for that, any good burning utility should do, but toast 6 works well. I archive DVD projects like that all the time.

If you need to be able to edit you DVD's later you can't create a VIDEO_TS folder, you need to use the "Archive Project" option from DVDSP, or simply store the MPEG2 and audio files (muxed if using iDVD)and the graphics stuff along with the DVDSP file. This is much more economical with space than storing 2 hours of DV-stream and render files from a FCP project.

You can also save an iDVD project by unchecking the "delete rendered assets" (I think...) from the iDVD preferences, apparently this saves the converted video/audio as part of the iDVD file, and you won't need to re-render when you burn, although I have never tried this.

You can always recover your video and audio from the VIDEO_TS folder using DVDX 1 to 1 or suchlike, but its time consuming and a pain.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
WinterMute said:
If you need to be able to edit you DVD's later you can't create a VIDEO_TS folder, you need to use the "Archive Project" option from DVDSP, or simply store the MPEG2 and audio files (muxed if using iDVD)and the graphics stuff along with the DVDSP file. This is much more economical with space than storing 2 hours of DV-stream and render files from a FCP project.

"archive project" option? could you please elaborate on this... where do i find this? sorry but i am still a dvdsp newbie, so a "step by step" woudl be appreciated. thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.