ultimate ipod dock...and its british!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by stormyuklondon1, Feb 21, 2007.

1. stormyuklondon1 macrumors member

when a company like meridian makes a product like this, you know its time to take the ipod seriously..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    for me, the standout feature is , at last, a dock with a proper audio digital output! hurrah!
    [​IMG]

apparently will retail for approx about £250 which will probably mean, oh, about $250 on t'other side of the pond:rolleyes: :D
    for those that don't know the company, their website..
    http://www.meridian-audio.com/welcome.htm
    I now feel very patriotic. a pint of warm, flat beer and a pub fight to celebrate I think:D

2. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Nice!!

I'd imagine it would diminish the lifetime of the drive significantly, but still.. Nice looking dock too.

3. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Um. Maybe I'm missing something. But can the iPod output HD video?

4. TJIrwin macrumors member

Presumably it's just using the iPod as a portable harddrive as opposed to anything else.

5. Aegelward macrumors 6502

£250 for meridian hardware? i'm disgusted that they are selling themselves to the COMMON market, i'll wait for the £2500 version with internal valve amplifier and 1080p upscaleing.

seriously though. £250 is very good for meridian hardware. :)

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It upscales 640 x 480 to HD and makes it 1080p. Big whoop.

7. stormyuklondon1 thread starter macrumors member

your praise is very subdued (not english are you?), but yea, it going to be very good. a double big whoop from me!

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

No I'm not. I don't have to praise something because it's made by a certain company or in a certain country. I praise something if it's good or useful. Let me guess - you drive a Rover? :p

I have a G68/G98 combo if that helps my Meridian credentials any. Unfortunately it's not exactly the best buy I've made in multi-format disc playback.

9. Sam0r macrumors regular

Surely if that were in england the iPod wouldn't still be there....

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, you guys may make a nice iPod dock, but we still make the iPod! ;) :p

It sounds like it takes normal iPod video (like movies purchased from the iTunes Store) and up-converts it, just like some DVD players can up-convert DVDs for HD televisions.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

What is the difference between up-converting (or upscaling?) and just zooming the SD video to a HD screen? Is there a difference - a better scaling algorithm?

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Jonathan Ive is British. ;)

Not that im sticking up for Britain as its a complete crap hole.

As my mate once infamously said "Dont come here, its w**k!"

13. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

Heh... Made me chuckle.

Now I can't wait for Prince Harry to get his butt over here to win this thing so we can all go home.:rolleyes:

I will have to keep a closer eye on my iPod, however.

14. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

And anyway, the best iPod dock (for music - don't forget kids - this is the main purpose of an iPod :D ) is this one.

15. stormyuklondon1 thread starter macrumors member

drive a rover?!? not in this lifetime, young man!
    i drive an american car funnily enough! handles like a ocean going liner but its comfortable enough, and the dog loves it:)
    as for your meridian credentials, i know where you went wrong. entry level meridian to my ears has always been a bit..bland. 800 series is really quite nice, but considerably more expensive.
    going back to the original point of this thread, its just nice to see a respected audio company like meridian making an effort and using their considerable expertise in audio/video reproduction to produce a product i know i'd quite happily buy. the British thing was just a bit of fun, if krell, lexicon, bryston or any other hi-end manufacturer produced a similar product, i'd be quite happy to have a look at it:)

oh, and sam0r, (said in his very best upper class english snob accent) how very dare you! any Englishman worth his salt would've pinched the display first!:D